[JPL] Thoughts after WEMU's BMI week

Linda Yohn lyohn at emich.edu
Thu May 7 16:39:58 EDT 2009

Hello,

In mid-April, WEMU went through our annual BMI logging experience.  As we do not pre-program with the computer or use bar code recognition software, it means a lot of extra work for the on-air host, but we don't mind doing it because it is important for the artists.

This year, with the exception of historically focused programs, all hosts made a concerted effort to program original music by living composers.  I listened to us a great deal and was inspired and intrigued by the fresh music hosts were choosing.
And--phone traffic and e-mail requests were up!

Of course we did play great classics during the week, but I think the effort to find, unique, original music rather than covers made a huge difference.

We're working on following up the BMI week with lots of original music balanced with best of the classics.

Linda

Linda Yohn
WEMU Music Director
lyohn at emich.edu