[JPL] Time cover correction

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Fri May 8 15:25:50 EDT 2009

For the record, Dave Brubeck was on the cover of Time on November 8, 1954,
the second jazz musician to be so honored.  Louis Armstrong made the cover
on Feb. 21, 1949 after he was selected to be King of the Zulus for that
year's Mardi Gras in his birthplace of New Orleans.  Brubeck's "Jazz Goes to
College" was a sensation by 1954, and thus the cover story.  Dave related in
the Ken Burns series how mortified with embarrassment he was to make the
cover of Time before Duke Ellington did.  He was touring with Duke at the
time and I believe it was the ever gracious Ellington who was the first to
congratulate Brubeck.  Duke made the cover eventually on August 20, 1956
following his success at that summer's Newport Jazz Festival.  As far as I
know only two other jazz musiicians have been Time cover stories: Thelonious
Monk on February 28, 1964, and Wynton Marsalis on October 22, 1990.  Monk
was scheduled to appear in November 1963, the week following JFK's
assassination.

Tom Reney