[JPL] Nichelle Nichols

Bobby Jackson ftapache1 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 9 02:33:07 EDT 2009

Just another factoid about Nichelle Nichols.....
I recently listened to a radio show about Star Trek and Nichelle
Nichols was extensively interviewed.  She said she was about to quit
the Star Trek series after it's first year and went to a function
where the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. attended.  He was
excited about meeting her and spoke of his admiration of her role on
the show.  She thanked him and spoke of her intention to quit to
pursue other things.  He persuaded her to stay on emphasizing how
important the work of Gene Roddenberry was and that she was a part of
something bigger than just about anything she could aspire to.  He was
right and he did persuade her to stay on.  King was assassinated a
year later and she remembered what he said and was glad to have had
the conversation with him.  She then began to realize just how
important the series was.

Aloha,

Bobby Jackson