[JPL] [Fwd: JAZZ RADIO IN BOSTON GETS CUT - WFNX, WGBH MAKE BIG CHANGES IN PROGRAMMING]

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Mon May 11 13:48:35 EDT 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	JAZZ RADIO IN BOSTON GETS CUT - WFNX, WGBH MAKE BIG CHANGES IN
PROGRAMMING
Date: 	Mon, 11 May 2009 12:52:08 -0400
From: 	Sue Auclair <jazzwoman at earthlink.net>
To: 	Sue Auclair <jazzwoman at earthlink.net>

Sue Auclair Promotions
617-522-1394
_www.sueauclairpromotions.com_
_jazzwoman at earthlink.net _

May 11, 2009

For Immediate Release:

*IN ONE WEEK BOSTON JAZZ RADIO LANDSCAPE
GETS CUT DRAMATICALLY
WFNX AXES JEFF TURTON
WGBH CUTS AL DAVIS, RON GILL and KEVIN BALL *

*
*
Boston-MA--May 11, 2009--Jazz host *Jeff Turton* announced today that
WFNX FM has cancelled his show, */The Sunday Jazz Brunch/*, as of his
show yesterday and after 26 years on the air on Sunday mornings.

“I got a call late last week informing me that this past Sunday would be
my last show.  The reason being given is budget cuts related to
diminished revenues at both ‘FNX and at the /Boston Phoenix/. While I
wasn't surprised, given the nature of the newspaper business and radio
in general, I am incredibly disappointed.  I’m not sure where to go next
but I guess I'll sleep in for a couple of weekends and then figure it
out.  I still plan on being active in some way but everything happened
pretty quickly so I really haven't had much of an opportunity to figure
out what's next,” noted Turton in an e-mail Monday morning.

Legendary jazz concert promoter *Fred Taylor* weighed in.  “I think it
shows WFNX’s total lack of acknowledgement of Boston’s arts community.
  To cut one lonely jazz show like this which represents a basic American
art form from the station’s 24-7 programming is unconscionable,” he said
upon hearing the news.

“Jeff Turton has been a jazz resource for Boston listeners for 26 years.
  He hosted the go-to show on Sunday morning radio, and he will
definitely be missed.” stated noted jazz writer and Marsalis Music
Creative Consultant *Bob Blumenthal*.

Last week came the news that WGBH FM jazz host* Ron Gill* would be
moving to South Carolina to live with relatives after 23 years on the
radio here and the jazz scene held its collective breath and wondered
who would be his replacement host.  Then the word came that his show
would be covered by a syndicated show taped on the west coast by Bob
Parlocha.

Next there was a call from WGBH 9 year veteran jazz DJ *Al Davis*.  “I
can’t book any guests on the show until I speak with WGBH.  They’ve
called me in for a meeting and it sounds serious,” said Al to publicist
Sue Auclair.

Tuesday, May 15 brought the news that ALL of the */Jazz Gallery/* hosts
would be departing at the end of May.  That included Davis on overnight
Fridays, 15 year veterin *Kevin Ball* overnight on Saturdays and *Ron
Gill*, overnight on Sundays.

All live-hosted weekend jazz shows will be gone, as of May 26 and the
new programming will feature “Jazz With Bob Parlocha,” the program that
is syndicated nationally and now already airs on 89.7 FM overnights on
weeknights.

While it’s good that jazz will still be on the air on WGBH FM, it
disconnects the regional audience from the _live Boston experience_, say
some.

*
**Sue Auclair
111 Perkins Street
Boston, MA 02130
617-522-1394; fax: 617-522-4652
jazzwoman at earthlink.net   or  sue at sueauclair.com
http://www.sueauclairpromotions.com
http://sueauclairspot.blogspot.com/

“Without music, life would be a mistake!” -/Miles Davis
/
*

*_