[JPL] Sony promo

Blaise Lantana blaise.lantana at riomail.maricopa.edu
Mon May 11 20:00:38 EDT 2009

Is anyone else doing the Sony/Legacy giveaway.  It required contact with
someone NOT in programming to assure them that we are not pocketing the
product and are mentioning the sponsor. It also requests that we confirm
that we are not increasing airplay of the product to do the giveaway.  Is
this something from commercial radio?

This causes some difficulty here at K-Jazz as other departments are not
inclined to spend their time dealing with programming issues when they have
their own jobs to do in development and management.  We don't have a
promotions department and my Ops director already asked why we'd bother to
give away this product if he has to send them assurances; he doesn't want us
dealing with legal issues just for a CD giveaway.  I think it is a great
opportunity for our listeners, and a chance for us to giveaway something
wonderful, but this is an additional little problem.

Could I please hear from other music directors who are doing this, and if
there are any experts in broadcasting laws I'd like to hear what this
relates to.

Thanks,
Blaise Lantana
Music Director