[JPL] Jammin’ in the East Room

E. Flashner eflash73 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 23:13:15 EDT 2009

NY TIMES
March 12th, 2009

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/12/jammin-in-the-east-room/?hp
Jammin’ in the East Room

The candles flickered, the bassist strummed and, one by one, the writers and
poets seized their moments in front of the microphone.

James Earl Jones served up Othello, his sonorous voice rumbling through the
East Room. Mayda del Valle, a poet from Chicago, conjured her grandmother
from Puerto Rico. Joshua Brandon Bennett, a poet from Yonkers, N.Y.,
delivered an ode to his deaf sister, his fingers flying as he translated his
words into signs.

It was Tuesday night, time for the White House poetry jam. A pony-tailed
disc jockey hovered over a pair of turntables in the hallway, guests sipped
white wine and President Obama and his wife, Michelle, celebrated the power
of the spoken word.

“We’re here to celebrate the power of words and music to help us appreciate
beauty and also to understand pain,’’ Mr. Obama told the crowd.

Mrs. Obama urged her guests to “enjoy, have fun and be loose” as they
absorbed performances from Hawaiian, Puerto Rican, Jewish and African
American writers in an event intended to showcase the diversity of American
talent.

The crowd, which included the director Spike Lee and the television
broadcaster George Stephanopoulos, among others, enjoyed the music of the
pianist Eric Lewis and the bassist and singer Esperanza Spalding along with
the writers. And while the poetry jam may well have been the hippest
performance staged by the Obamas in the White House, it was just one of a
series of events they have put on to celebrate the arts.

Since January, the Obamas have played host to bagpipe and mariachi bands,
Irish fiddlers and poets, pop stars and jazz singers. Performers have
included Stevie Wonder and Earth Wind and Fire, Tony Bennett and Fergie, the
singer from the Black Eyed Peas.

Paul Muldoon, the Pulitzer-Prize winning poet from Northern Ireland, has
recited his verses. The rocker Sheryl Crow and the rhythm and blues singer
Alicia Keys have entertained cheering crowds in the East Room.

“Our goal really is to bring the house alive,’’ said Desiree Rogers, the
White House social secretary. “We’re all American, but all of us come from
different backgrounds. We want to expose Americans to other Americans that
are doing brilliant work.’’

Laura Bush, the former first lady, also brought writers to the White House
to highlight the works of Langston Hughes, Mark Twain and the women writers
of the West and others. (Mrs. Bush was forced to cancel her poetry symposium
in 2003, however, when it became clear that several participants planned to
protest the war in Iraq.)

It is probably safe to say that Tuesday’s event may well have been the first
White House poetry jam, the fast-paced presentation of spoken verse that has
become popular among young people in cities across the country. (This should
not be confused with a poetry slam, which is a poetry competition.)

Jamaica Heolimeleikalani Osorio, a young Hawaiian poet, talked about the
struggles of finding her own identity, of living in her own skin. Lin Manuel
Miranda, the creator of the Tony-Award winning Broadway musical, “In the
Heights” rapped his way across the stage.

The writers, Michael Chabon and Ayelet Waldman, who are husband and wife,
described how words break down barriers.

Ms. del Valle, the 30-year-old poet from Chicago, said she never dreamed
that she would be invited to perform in the White House.
“To be able to go in the White House and to represent my grandmother and my
ancestors, it really means a lot,” she said. “It’s a
generation of women that don’t often get heard, you know, these old Puerto
Rican women that no one ever really thinks about. To be able to use my voice
to represent them on this kind of platform is really powerful.”