[JPL] PLAYLIST: The next Jazz America on VOA

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu May 14 16:47:02 EDT 2009

Following is the log for the next JAZZ AMERICA program from the Voice
of America, now heard by more listeners than ever before, not only on
the entertainment service MusicMix, but also on the worldwide VOA
service via shortwave transmission. The show is two hours long and
reaches a potential audience of 134 million listeners worldwide each
weekend.

Jazz America airs twice each weekend online in the Eastern time zone
on Saturday from 1-3 AM (That's 11 PM-1 AM Pacific time, Friday into
Saturday AM) and Sunday from 9-11 AM Eastern time (That's 6-9 AM
Pacific). Go to the following url (http://www.voanews.com/english/
Entertainment/musicmixold.cfm) and click on “LISTEN LIVE NOW” to hear
the show!
  Visit the Voice of America website @ www.voamusicmix.net and click
on schedule in the left column to see the time it is webcast in your
timezone as well as when and how to hear it via shortwave.

For any comments or communication you can reach me by email at jazz-
america at voa.gov.

Russ Davis: davis programs
105 east 16th street/# 7 south•new york, ny 10003

phone...212 614-0424            email…jazz-america at voa.gov

JAZZ AMERICA...SHOW #1027...16-17 May 2009
CHARLES MINGUS…boogie stop shuffle (mingus ah um)
KEVIN MAHOGANY…pussy cat dues (pussy cat dues)
*Joshua Redman Interview
JOSHUA REDMAN…faraway (compass)
CHICO HAMILTON…happiness previals (twelve tones of love)
JIMI HENDRIX…tbd (the complete ppx sessions)
CARMEN LUNDY…it might as well be spring (something to believe in)
*Dave Douglas Interview
DAVE DOUGLAS…bowie (spirit moves)
STANLEY CLARKE…goodbye porkpie hat (if this bass could only talk)

JAZZ AMERICA...SHOW #1028...16-17 May 2009
CHARLES MINGUS…self-portrait in three colors (mingus ah um)
JONI MITCHELL…the dry cleaner from des moines (shadows & light)
*Medeski, Martin & Wood  Interview
MEDESKI, MARTIN & WOOD…padrecito (radiolarians 2)
KENNY BURRELL…common ground (live at the downtown room)
GROOVE COLLECTIVE…forgotten travelers (people people music music)
HARRY CONNICK JR.…do nothing till you hear from me (20)
*John Scofield Interview
JOHN SCOFIELD…but I like the message (piety street)
TERENCE BLANCHARD…flow pt. 1 (flow)
CHARLES MINGUS…jelly roll (mingus ah um)
Next Show …

SHOWS #1029-1030...23-24 May 2009
Special Feature: Conversation with
NEA Jazz Master Chico Hamilton