[JPL] rifftides: trane/dizzy/hersch/schwartz

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Sat May 16 07:12:55 EDT 2009

http://www.artsjournal.com/rifftides/

Here's the url for a new set of posts on Doug Ramsey's Arts Journal blog "Rifftides."  Gene Abkarian drew my attention to it after seeing that I'd featured "Giant Steps" in my golden anniversary series this week.  Here you'll find a transcription of Trane's solo and a fascinating piece of animation by Michael Levy in which he translates Trane's mathematical approach to architecture.  Note also the good news of how Dizzy Gillespie's birthplace of Cheraw, SC is honoring its favorite son, and an excerpt from a feature that Steve Schwartz produced on Fred Hersch at WGBH.

Tom Reney
Jazz à la Mode

WFCR

Hampshire House