[JPL] The Jazz Session launches new partnership with All About Jazz / Plus, TJS #58: Hugh Masekela

Jason Crane|The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon May 18 00:25:11 EDT 2009

Hi folks,

Today, I’m thrilled to announce the launch of a new partnership with All
About Jazz, the world’s most visited jazz Web site. AAJ founder Michael
Ricci and I have been working together for several years now, with AAJ
hosting transcriptions of the interviews that appear on The Jazz Session.

Now we’ve decided to combine forces. That means The Jazz Session will be
featured on the home page at allaboutjazz.com. We’ll also be working
together to visit festivals on behalf the new TJS/AAJ partnership,
starting this summer with the Tanglewood Jazz Festival and others. The
idea is to conduct interviews right in front of the crowds who come to
see the artists. Then we’ll bring these interviews to you after the
festivals.

We’re also launching a widget for The Jazz Session that will allow you
to display the latest episode right on your blog or Web site. I’ll be
mentioning the blogs and sites that do this on episodes of the show, and
also linking to them from this site. So if you decide to link to The
Jazz Session, please let me know at jason at thejazzsession.com.

For more information on the new partnership, and for instructions on
adding the widget to your site, please read the press release:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=35605

But that's not all...

THE JAZZ SESSION HITS 200,000 DOWNLOADS!

On the very same day that The Jazz Session announced its new partnership
with All About Jazz, the show hit 200,000 downloads. I’m so proud of the
show and grateful to all of you for supporting it. This is a true labor
of love for me, and I hope it shows in the interviews.

And trust me — this is just the beginning. TJS and AAJ have big plans
for the future, so stay tuned and tell a friend.

Thanks again for making The Jazz Session a success!

Oh yeah -- there's a new episode this week, too, with trumpeter Hugh
Masekela. And here's who you'll be hearing on upcoming shows. Please
note that I sometimes have to shuffle the schedule around a bit.

5/25: Gary Burton
6/1: Mike Melito
6/8: Lisa Sokolov
6/15: Jeff Albert
6/22: Rudder
6/29: The Respect Sextet
7/6: Kate Schutt
7/13: Miles Okazaki
7/20: Arturo O'Farrill
7/27: E.J. Strickland
8/3: Redwood Jazz Alliance

And now, on to the update...

*** NEW EPISODE! ***

THE JAZZ SESSION #58: HUGH MASEKELA. Jason Crane interviews trumpeter
Hugh Masekela about his 2009 album Phola (Times Square Records). The
album finds Masekela in a quieter, more reflective mood — a decision he
credits to producer Erik Paliani. Despite the more reserved
surroundings, Masekela’s flugelhorn playing is as intense as ever. In
the interview, Masekela discusses Miriam Makeba, music as a political
force, and why he doesn’t play for fun.

HOW TO LISTEN:

1. Visit <http://thejazzsession.com> and use the easy built-in player

2. If you use iTunes, clicking on the following link will open iTunes,
subscribe you to the show, and download the most recent episode. This
really helps the show grow, so please use this method if you can:
<itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast>

THE JAZZ SESSION ON FACEBOOK

Hundreds of people have joined The Jazz Session's Facebook group, and
you should, too! Just follow the link:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=35546419362

All the best,

Jason