[JPL] Playlist: ERIC ALAN'S JAZZ RENDEZVOUS MUSIC LOG - Cape Town South Africa Sunday 17 May 2009

Eric Alan at Jazz Rendezvous eric at jazzrendezvous.co.za
Mon May 18 04:00:37 EDT 2009

RADIO 2000 - ERIC ALAN'S JAZZ RENDEZVOUS - MUSIC LOG

Presenter / Producer: ERIC ALAN                  Time: 18h00 to 20h00
Date: SUNDAY MAY 17, 2009

South African music emboldened and in italics

ARTIST    TITLE    ALBUM    COMPOSER    LABEL    RECORD NUMBER
18h00 - HOUR No. 1

18:00 to 18:10     INTRODUCE LYRICAL PURSUIT GAME - A couple of lines from
the lyrics of a well-known song are read out as clues from the beginning of
and then through the show at regular interval¹s show. Listeners are invited
to call in with the name of the song for the duration of the show. At the
end of the show, the answer will be revealed, a winners name will be
announced, and the song is played at the last song of the show.

Gary Deacon     Rise 'n Shine - Jazz Rendezvous Intro/Outro    Sunset
Boulevard    Gary Deacon   Gary Deacon   DEMO GD 001   1995    S.A.
Gary Deacon     One Summer Night - General Under voice Bed   Sunset
Boulevard    Gary Deacon   Gary Deacon   DEMO GD 001   1995    S.A.

Dave Brubeck Quartet    Audrey    Brubeck Time    Paul Desmond/Dave Brubeck
Columbia/Legacy    CDCOL 5673     1954

18:10 to 18:20     BIG BAND BREAK ­ Two to three big band songs are played
back-to-back depending on the length of each tune.

Jonny Cooper Orchestra    Harlem Nocturne    Legends Of Swing    Earl H
Hagen / D Rogers    JCBB    JC 02     2003    S.A.
Duke Ellington    Pie Eye's Blues    Blues In Orbit    Duke Ellington
Columbia/Legacy    CDCOL 7222     1959

18:20 to 18:40     ARTIST/MUSICIAN INTERVIEW TIME - Live in studio for South
African based musicians and live telephone for international musicians
interviews only on the day of broadcast, no pre-recorded interviews will be
considered. The musician guest¹s music will be played between the chat
periods and listeners will be invited to call in with questions for the
guest/s.

We speak to composer, producer, music educator & independent record label
owner CONCORD NKABINDE about his views and predictions that will affect the
music industry and what the future hold for the professional musicians in
South Africa today. We will also find out about the trials and tribulations
of running an independent record label in the economically troubled world of
today.

Concord Nkabinde    Calypsoweto    The Time, The Season   Concord Nkabinde
Drocnoc Music/ Digelius Music    CONCS 001     2003    S.A.
   INTERVIEW                        S.A.
Concord Nkabinde     Ilanga    This Is My World    Concord Nkabinde
Drocnoc Music    CONCS 002    2006    S.A.
   INTERVIEW                        S.A.
Concord Nkabinde     Vuka Uzenzele (Don't Wait For Tomorrow) The Time, The
Season    Concord Nkabinde     Drocnoc Music/ Digelius Music    CONCS 001
2003    S.A.

18:40 to 18:50     BILLBOARD - TOP 15 MAINSTREAM JAZZ SALES CHARTS - A look
at the weeks Billboard Sales Charts Top 15 Mainstream Jazz Albums -
countdown of the 15 albums. Tracks from two albums selected from the charts
are played.

Renee Olstead     My Baby Just Cares for Me    Skylark      Donaldson, Kahn
Reprise/143    44 247    2009
Diana Krall    So Nice    Quiet Nights    Marcos Valle/Norman Gimbel/Paulo
Sérgio Valle   Verve    STARCD 7325     2009

18:50 to 19:00     MUSICIANS BIRTHDAY BOOK
atches    Sweet Georgia Brown    Latches    Ben Bernie, Maceo Pinkard,
Kennith Casie    Universal    530 845-2   2008
Chihiro Yamanaka    Take Me In Your Arms    Abyss    Alfred Markush, Fritz
Rotter, Mitchell Parish   Emarcy    531 2284     2007

19h00 - HOUR No. 2

19:00 to 19:10     GIG GUIDE - LIVE ENTERTAINMENT ­ Information on a
selected jazz gigs or happenings from around the country, be it a Festival
or club gig, reported live via telephone by correspondents in centres around
South Africa. Two tunes to be played, depending on the length of each song

Tony DeSare    Get Happy    Radio Show    Harold Arlen / Ted Kohler
Telarc Jazz    CD-83689    2009
Conrad Herwig    Foot Prints    Latin Side of Wayne Shorter    Wayne Shorter
Half Note Records     HN 4345    2008

19:10 to 19:20     PLAYBACK FROM WAY BACK ­ A couple of songs from way back
along the tracks of time, time to tug at the musical memories from
yesteryear. Listeners are asked to call in with their answer as to who the
bands or singers are.
The Manhattan Brothers     Tula Ndivile    Township Jazz: A Musical History
Mackay Davashe    Sheer Sound   SSPCD 093   2007    S.A.
Yutaka Yokokura & Pauline Wilson   Brazasia    Gold Encore Series Magical
Duos   Yutaka Yokokura, Oscat Castro-Neves, Tracy Mann    GRP Records    GRP
97502    1993

19:20 to 19:40     MUSIC BUSINESS & EDUCATION INTERVIEW TIME - Interview
with important players in the Arts, Culture, Music and Recording industry,
focusing on various aspects and legalities of the industry. How arts workers
can access various important resources to further and protect their careers.
Music to be played between each question and answer. Listeners are invited
to call in with question for the guests.

We speak to the Presidents of the South African Association for Jazz
Education (SAJE) Prof Mike Rossi and the international Jazz Education
Network (JEN) Mary Jo Papich. We enquire about the state, needs and
importance of jazz education in South Africa, Africa and the World. We'll
also try to understand why jazz is so misunderstood by so many people given
the huge jazz education interest on a world wide scale.        S.A. & U.S.A

Steve Dooks    Smooth And Easy    Cocktails, Heartaches And Cigars    Steve
Dooks    Steve Dooks    SD00001    2007

   INTERVIEW                        S.A.
Winston Mankunku Ngozi      Give Peace A Chance (Een Liedjie Vir Saldanha
Bay)    Abantwana Be Africa (Children of Africa)     Winston Mankunku Ngozi
Sheer Sound     SSCD 098    2003    S.A.

   INTERVIEW                        S.A.
Ernie Smith Feat. Jonathan Butler    Your Smile    G-Spot Grooves    Ernie
Smith    Cape Town Sound    CTS 5009    2007    S.A.

19:40 to 19:50     SMOOTHJAZZ.COM - TOP 15 CONTEMPORARY JAZZ CHARTS ­ A look
at the weeks Smooth Jazz Chart - Contemporary Jazz Albums Top 15 - countdown
of the Top 15 albums. Tracks from two albums selected from the charts are
played.

Randy Crawford & Joe Sample    Angel of the Morning    No Regrets    Chip
Taylor    Emarcy    STARCD 7262     2008
Euge Groove    Cafe Del Soul    Born 2 Groove    Steven Grove     Narada
Jazz     CDSTBN (WI) 1275     2007

19:50 to 20:00     BIG BLUES BREAK - As the name implies a couple of great
blues tunes. 2 to 3 songs depending on the length of each track.

Blues Broers    Black Eye Snake    Cellar Tapes    Simon Orange    Guava
1998    S.A.
Nina Simone    Backlash Blues    Angel Of The Morning    Nina
Simone/Langston Hughes    Sony Music    CDRCA 7225    2009
Louis Armstrong    The Memphis Blues (Or Mister Crump)    Louis Armstrong
Plays W.C. Handy   W. C. Handy/G. A. Norton    Columbia/Legacy    CDCOL 7220
1954

20h00 - HOUR no. 3

20:00 to 20:10     GIG GUIDE - LIVE ENTERTAINMENT ­ Information on a
selected jazz gigs or happenings from around the country, be it a Festival
or club gig, reported live via telephone by correspondents in centres around
South Africa. Two tunes to be played, depending on the length of each song

Jeff Lorber    Rehab    Heard That     Winehouse    Peak Records     0888
072307247    2008
Lee Ritenour, Gerald Albright    Jamming    A Twist Of Marley: Tribute
Bob Marley    GRP     FPBCD 286     2001

20:10 to 20:20     DOUBLE PLAY BACK TO BACK - The same tune or song played
back to back. Listeners are asked to call in with the name of the song and
the names of the two artists who sing the song.

Kitty Margolis    Evolution    Evolution    Ivan Lins, Brock Walsh    Mad
Cat    MKCD 1004     2005
Mark Winkler     Evolution     Till I Get It Right     Ivan Lins, Brock
Walsh     Free Ham Records    FH 0907    2009

20:20 to 20:40     ALBUM of the WEEK and INTERVIEW with the MUSICIAN (When
Possible) ­ Live in studio interview of SA based musicians or live telephone
of international musicians on the day of the show only will be considered.
Two to three tracks from a randomly chosen jazz album played between chats
to the musician concerned. Listeners are invited to call in with question
for the guests.

We chat to MCCOY MRUBATA about his latest album, "THE BRASSKAP SESSIONS" and
listen to a few tracks from the album. We will find out what he's planning
for the future and when we can expect a new album from him.       S.A.
McCoy Mrubata    Somalia    Brasskap Sessions Vol. 1    McCoy Mrubata
Sheer Sound    SSCD132     2007    S.A.

   INTERVIEW                       S.A.
McCoy Mrubata    Khwela    Brasskap Sessions Vol. 1    McCoy Mrubata
Sheer Sound    SSCD132     2007    S.A.

   INTERVIEW                       S.A.
McCoy Mrubata    Missing You    Brasskap Sessions Vol. 1    McCoy Mrubata
Sheer Sound    SSCD132     2007    S.A.

20:40 to 20:50     CHARTS - JAZZWEEK RADIO PLAY TOP 50 MAINSTREAM JAZZ
CHARTS - A Look at the JazzWeek Radio Play Top 50 Mainstream Jazz Albums -
countdown of the 10 albums. Tracks from two albums selected from the charts
to be played.

Melissa Morgan     The Lamp Is Low     Until I Met You     DeRose, Parish,
Ravel, Shefter    Telarc Jazz    CD-83684    2009
Tierney Sutton Band    Heart's Desire    Desire    Dave Frishberg, Alan
Broadbent    Telarc Jazz    CD 83685     2009

20:50 to 22:55     A tune before the Grand Finale
David Benoit and Christian Scott    You're in Love, Charlie Brown   Jazz For
Peanuts   Vince Guaraldi   Peak     PKD 30454    2008

20:55 to 21:00     LYRICAL PURSUIT GAME ANSWER ­ The answer to the game is
given and the winners name is read out. The song is then played as the
farewell tune of the show.
The Manhattan Transfer    Tuxedo Junction    Michael Parkinson My Life in
Music CD 1     B Fayne, E Hawkins, J Dash     Reprise    WBCD 2197     2008

Copyright ©2009 Eric Alan

Today's Quotations
Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.
Ludwig van Beethoven

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

In politics, an organized minority is a political majority.
Jesse Jackson

I was a jazz major in high school, in an all-jazz band. No matter what I do,
it features my musical influences.
Wyclef Jean

Today¹s Joke
A jazz musician dies and goes to heaven. He is told "Hey man, welcome! You
have been elected to the Jazz All-Stars of Heaven--right up there with
Satchmo, Miles, Django, all the greats. We have a gig tonight. Only one
problem--God's girlfriend gets to sing."

Today¹s Point To Ponder
Success has a thousand fathers, but failure is an orphan

Today's Oxymoron
Lower taxes

Today's Physics Fact
If given the same mass, our body would actually be hotter than the sun.

Today's Confucius saying
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand