[JPL] JzFmS4 PLAYLIST WGBH BOSTON 5/22/2009

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Sat May 23 07:04:40 EDT 2009

JAZZ FROM STUDIO FOUR
Friday, May 22, 8pm–midnight, WGBH 89.7

2010 NEA JAZZ MASTERS
HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY-MUSIC RECORDED IN 1959
R.I.P. BUDDY MONTGOMERY

8:00pm
THEME: Horace Parlan Quintet: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Note)

8:05PM
Buddy Mongomery: The Night Has A Thousand Eyes, Live at Maybeck Recital Hall, Volume 15 (Concord)
The Mastersounds: Spring Is Here, Introducing The Mastersounds-Water's Edge (Fresh Sounds)
Buddy Mongomery: 1,000 Rainbows, Here Again (Sharp Nine)

8:26pm
Thelonious Monk; recorded in 1959: Little Rootie Tootie, Orchestra at Town Hall (Riverside)
Thelonious Monk; recorded in 1959: Jackie-ing, 5 By Monk By 5 (Riverside)
Thelonious Monk; recorded in 1959: Pannonica, The Complete Riverside Recordings (Riverside)

8:49pm
Bill Holman; 2010 NEA Jazz Master: Thelonious, Brilliant Corners (JVC)
Stan Kenton; featuring Bill Holman arrangements and compositions:
Solo for Buddy; Lover Man, Kenton Showcase The Music of Bill Holman (Capitol)
Lennie Niehaus; featuring Bill Holman, tenor saxophone: Blue Room, The Octet #2 (Contemporary)

9:09pm
Annie Ross; 2010 NEA Jazz Master: Gypsy in My Soul, Skylark (DRG Music)
Lambert, Hendricks & Ross: Jackie, The Swingers (Pacific Jazz)
Annie Ross; Gerry Mulligan: This Time The Dreams on Me, Sing A Song with Mulligan (Pacific Jazz)
Annie Ross: I Hadn't Anyone Till You, Music is Forever (DRG Music)

9:24pm
John Coltrane; recorded in 1959: Giant Steps, Giant Steps (Atlantic)
Cannonball Adderley; recorded in 1959: This Here, The Quintet in San Francisco (Riverside)
Coleman Hawkins; recorded in 1959: Red Beans, Coleman Hawkins with The Red Garland Trio (Prestige)

9:50pm
George Russell; featuring Bill Evans; recorded in 1959: East Side MEdley, New York NY (Impulse)
Bob Brookmeyer; Bill Evans; recorded in 1959: The Man I Love, The Ivory Hunters/Double Barrelled Piano (Blue Note)
Bill Evans; recorded in 1959: You and The Night and The Music, The Complete Riverside Recordings (Riverside)

10:16pm
Muhal Richard Abrams; 2010 NEA Jazz Master: Dizbirdmonkbudmax (A Tribute), Family Talk (Soul Note)

10:34pm
Cedar Walton; 2010 NEA Jazz Master: Milestones, Underground Memories (HighNote)
Cedar Walton: Besame Mucho, Latin Tinge (HighNote)
Cedar Walton: The Vision, Composer (Astor Place)

10:55pm
Helen Humes; recorded in 1959: Stardust, 'Tain't Nobody's Biz-ness If I Do (Contemporary)
Little Jimmy Scott; recorded in 1959: I'm Afraid the Masquerade is Over, The SAvoy Years and More (Savoy)
Dinah Washington; recorded in 1959: This Bitter Earth, First Issue: The Dinah Washington Story (Verve)

11:07pm
Bobby Hutcherson; 2010 NEA Jazz Master: Delilah, Skyline (Verve)
Bobby Hutcherson: Blues Mind Matter, Stick Up (Blue Note)

11:19pm
Yusef Lateef; 2010 NEA Jazz Master: Morning, Jazz Moods (Savoy)
Yusef Lateef: When You're Smiling, Into Something (Prestige New Jazz)

11:36pm
Kenny Barron; 2010 NEA Jazz Master: Bud-Like, Live at Maybeck Recital Hall, Volume 10 (Concord)
Kenny Barron: The Only One, The Only One (Reservoir)
Kenny Barron: Quickstep, Quickstep (Enja)

11:55pm
Buddy Mongomery: Here Again, Here Again (Sharp Nine)