[JPL] Jazz in Rwanda

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Tue May 26 22:34:58 EDT 2009

Rwanda: 'Jazz for Peace' in Kigali
Peninnah Gathoni

Kigali --- Last weekend saw the unveiling of a different genre of music
in Kigali-jazz during the Amahoro week. Jazz is new in Kigali but the
turn out showed that there is great potential for it.

Rick DellaRatta and his group Jazz for Peace held two concerts in Petit
Stadium and at Serena hotel.

The group was specifically invited to perform in Kigali to promote
peace, as it is the group's main purpose of existence. According to one
of the organisers Misbah Sheikh, the group extensive work in peace
promotion was relevant to the aims of the 'Peace Week'.

"We felt the need to invite DellaRatta and his group because their work
in promoting peace through music, is well known in the world- they
perform to promote what we aim to achieve in the 'Peace Week'," Said Misbah.

Jazz for peace team, arrived in the country last Thursday, eager to
perform for the first time in Africa. According to the group's founder
DellaRatta the group performance in Rwanda was a celebration of what
Rwanda has already achieved, and an acknowledgement of the continuing work.

"This is a special occasion for us and for Rwanda. People of this
country have worked a lot to rebuild and make the country an example to
many others. We have a lot to celebrate, and I am glad to play
accompanying music," said DellaRatta.

In 2002 September Rick DellaRatta was invited to lead a band consisting
of Israeli, Middle Eastern, European, Asian and American Jazz musicians
in a concert inside the UN for an international audience. This saw the
birth of a now renowned band -Jazz for peace.

DellaRatta pointed out that Jazz for peace is aimed at uniting people
across the world. He emphasised that the group's aim is spreading peace
worldwide through "Jazz for Peace World Tour".

"Jazz for Peace is aimed at reaching out to individuals and
organizations across the world, promoting peace. We believe that if we
embrace qualities such as creativity, artistry, humanity, we will all
have a better chance of avoiding behaviour that leads to destruction,"
said DellaRatta. Through music the groups aim at transcending barriers
that bring out differences amongst people using Jazz.

DellaRatta says that the group joins forces with multi-cultural
musicians to entertain and spread the message of peace.

"Music can help us find a common ground and to communicate things that
unite us. Jazz is a Universal language where we can gather people
regardless of colour, tribe and religion. That's what we do- we play
music and hope that unity will be found in shared beliefs and values
that we communicate in our performances," DellaRatta remarked.

According to DellaRatta the benefits from concerts and all the work of
the group are channelled to outstanding organisations and charities
across the world.

"Through our Instrument Donation Program (IDP), we provide musical
instruments to under privileged children all over the world. We donate
to outstanding non -governmental organisations that continue to work the
betterment of our world," DellaRatta said.

DellaRatta and his group have committed their lives, to a cause that is
bigger than many of us, but with their contribution we make a step
closer to a desired dream - world peace. Perhaps if we all did our share
to walk towards a similar goal, we could at least be a step closer to
world peace.

Copyright © 2009 The New Times. All rights reserved. Distributed by
AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com).

--
Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations