[JPL] The doors are closing, but the Jazz Bakery is still in play

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Sat May 30 09:44:12 EDT 2009

The doors are closing, but the Jazz Bakery is still in play

The Jazz Bakery, a staple of the L.A. music community, will close its
doors Sunday after losing its lease, but owner Ruth Price insists it's
too early to write a eulogy for the club, which has occupied the same
space at the Helms Bakery District for the last 16 years.

"I've been really stressing the word moving, not closing," she said.
"But it's been really hard to get people's mind-set away from the most
dramatic thing they can think of. It is pretty dramatic any way you look
at it, frankly."

Given that the similarly lauded music venue Largo pulled off a
successful (if more voluntary) transition to the Coronet Theater last
year, Price has reasons to be hopeful. Despite the tough economic
climate and the fact that jazz continues to be faced with a shrinking
and fragmented audience, she's fielding a number of offers to keep the
Bakery alive.

She's working on a partnership with the Grammy Museum downtown that will
allow her to present a run of shows there starting as early as late
summer, along with tentative plans with Culver City's Kirk Douglas
Theatre to take over the space on open nights.

She has also pinpointed two potential sites on the Westside for the
club's new permanent home and is working with architects on preliminary
sketches. Still, there is no fixed timetable for a new location, or any
guarantee that one truly will come to fruition.

"Everywhere we go people talk about our cachet," Price said. "And my
joke is I wish we had cash instead of cachet!"

Although the Bakery is insulated somewhat by grants as part of its
nonprofit status, the grim reality is that 2009 is a tough time for jazz
clubs across the country. Detroit's venerable Baker's Keyboard Lounge,
which has hosted John Coltrane, Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong,
announced it also might close at the end of the month after recently
celebrating its 75th anniversary.

If the Bakery fails to find a new home, that will leave Los Angeles with
only one club that hosts nationally touring jazz artists on a regular
basis: the Catalina Bar & Grill in Hollywood, which like many area jazz
clubs requires a two-drink minimum or dinner purchase on top of parking
and admission costs.

Add it up and an evening of jazz quickly becomes cost-prohibitive for
young or less solvent music fans -- to say nothing for what this could
mean for nationally recognized artists touring the West Coast.

"Other entrepreneurs are going to have to start [opening] different jazz
venues in places people may not think are jazz places," said LeRoy
Downs, a former DJ at radio station KKJZ-FM (88.1) who hosts a number of
local jazz shows. "Just so we can have musicians still call Los Angeles
a viable place to come for music."

In recent months, the Bakery has struggled with attendance -- the room,
which holds 214 people, should draw a good crowd tonight for its final
major jazz performance with bassist Scott Colley's quartet, but at times
has had trouble reaching capacity. Most shows at the club cost a minimum
of $25, even for lesser known acts like a sparsely attended recent
Monday night show with Iraqi American trumpeter Amir ElSaffar.

"The Bakery is a large enough room that you could get a lot of people in
there -- not that a lot of people would always turn out," said drummer
Peter Erskine, who frequently played the Bakery. "L.A.'s L.A., it's hard
to get people to come out. I don't know, what's the [missing] ingredient?"

"Easy parking," he suggested with a laugh.

Parking has grown more difficult since the arrival last year of trendy
gastropub Father's Office, but the Bakery has remained beloved by
members of the local jazz community because of its strict focus on
music. Unlike other clubs, there is no food or drink service, something
the featured performers appreciate.

"Clubs are fun . . . but you know, they all have ice blenders and
telephones and chatty people that come in for reasons other than
listening to music," Erskine said. "The great thing about the Bakery was
that it's a listening room, and so the philosophy of the room is what I
think made every musician fall in love with the place."

Last week, a predominantly older crowd with a few clusters of excitable
young students filed into the Bakery's performance space to see local
pianist Billy Childs, who was beginning a four-night run at the Bakery.

As with most every performance, Price addressed the audience before and
after Childs' set, making a point to remind everyone to sign up for the
club's e-mail list.

In the lobby after the show was Douglas Mosher, 22, a recent USC music
graduate with shoulder-length hair and an easy smile. A student of jazz
saxophone, he's been coming to the Bakery all through college, and even
got onstage two years ago as part of the club's student nights.

He's long been a fan of the venue's student discount program that takes
a bite out of what he considers the high price of jazz, but the Bakery's
unique vibe is what he'll really miss.

When asked where he'll go after the Bakery closes its doors, he's much
less certain.

"I don't know, I guess I'm not going to see as much," he said, the
Bakery lobby's exhibition of images of jazz greats looming over his
shoulder. "I'll just kind of wait and see what their next move is."

--Chris Barton

--
Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations