[JPL] Old S.F. Jazz Clubs

Chantal Phaire Phairelady at aol.com
Sun May 31 04:01:40 EDT 2009

Yes. Decent article. But what about the precursor to most of these clubs and a phenomenal place for musicians to play like The Douglas Beach house? The roster of musicians that have played there include most of the aforementioned artists. It's loved by jazz and classical musicians alike.

Pete Douglas has sustained his place since 1958. It never seems to get the recognition it deserves and is often left out of the San Francisco press because...well it is in the peninsula of Half Moon Bay. Just a stone's throw from "frisco." Yes, it is about 45 minutes south, though the list of prominent jazz musicians who have played there is a history book of who's who. Just to name a few: Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Etta James, Art Blakey, Max Roach, Bill Evans, Stan Getz, Dexter Gordon and more.

Does anyone know the word on the street about the hippie or shall I say HEP cat; that had the foresight to build this space? Did he piss someone off (way back when)? I would love to be enlightened and understand the full history of the area.

Thanks,

Chantal