[JPL] Special Features this week on MOJA Radio

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Sep 1 11:50:08 EDT 2009

Here's what's happening this week on www.mojaradio.com.  If you
haven't checked us out come visit our Brave, Cool World!

Russ Davis
MOJA Radio/VOA
105 East 16th Street
# 7 South
New York, NY 10003
russ at mojaradio.com
		jazz-america at voa.gov

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (31 August-6 September 2009)

This Monday, August 31st, and at a new time, we’ll present another
edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio.
And since this weekend marks the 30th edition of the Detroit
International Jazz Festival we’ll be featuring an hour of music from
one of the Motor City’s greatest living jazz masters, saxophonist
KENNY GARRETT! You’ll hear an hour of Kenny’s candid comments and an
hour of his music including everything from his work with Miles Davis
and other collaborators to his award-winning solo work! Listen for
MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday. And now listen at a new
time for the first airing as we know lots of you listen to MOJA Radio
at your work and we want to make sure all our friends in the West
have a chance to hear it, so we’ll air MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS at
Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/
6 PM Pacific.

Listen for and hour of the jazzy jambands, funk, fusion, acid jazz
and more on JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION WITH MICHELLE
SAMMARTINO five times each week, Tuesdays & Thursdays at 9 AM and
again at 9 PM EST and Sunday’s at 7 PM EST.  This week Michelle will
serve up the great horn bands Bonerama and The Boston Horns,
England’s New Mastersounds with special guest Karl Denson, the newest
from John Scofield and Dr. Lonnie Smith plus much more!

LIVE @ MOJALand happens twice each Wednesday at 9AM & 9 PM Eastern/6
AM & 6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this
week we’ll take you to Prospect Park in Brooklyn, New York to enjoy a
performances by one of New York’s monster MOJA groups at the
Celebrate Brooklyn Festival on a special show we call GROOVE
COLLECTIVE LIVE IN BROOKLYN.  You’ll hear the band that’s been
together since the 1990’s and one that helped define acid jazz in
America throwing down in front of a roaring crowd in their own
hometown.  They’ll play some of their earlier classics, tunes from
their Grammy-nominated “People People Music Music” CD and music with
a serious Latin groove too.  It’s GROOVE COLLECTIVE LIVE IN BROOKLYN
on this week’s edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

Every Thursday at 10 AM east/7 AM West with a replay at 10 PM East/7
PM West, and again Sunday at 8 PM East/5 PM West Join Russ Davis as
he give you an hour of nothing but the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW
MUSIC REVUE.  This week you’ll hear music from five new releases and
sample the variety that is MOJA in the 21st century.  Medeski, Martin
& Wood have just released the third in the Radiolarians series and
we’ll start with that. You’ll hear what Grammy winner Bill Frisell is
up to as he blends Americana and jazz on “Disfarmer.” Mark Levine and
the Latin Tinge pay homage to a great, and probably overlooked,
Brazilan master, Moacir Santos, on their new release “Off & On.”
Another of the great artists born in Israel, funky and fiery
guitarist Eyal Maoz, continues his rising career with “Hope And
Destruction.”  And we’ll close out the hour with trumpeter and techno-
jazz master Ben Neill and his new one “Night Science.” That’s five
brilliant new MOJA releases  on this weeks edition of THE ALL NEW
MUSIC REVUE.

Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll
begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our
special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on MOJA
Radio.  And this week we’ll put a special focus on the man from San
Francisco who brought fire and funkiness to fusion as we present a
special feature we call “GEORGE DUKE AND FRIENDS.” You’ll hear
collaborations between the great keyboardist and vocalist George Duke
with some of the folks he made fusion history with.  You’ll hear
George and Billy Cobham live in Montreux, George and Jean-Luc Ponty
live in Los Angeles, George and Stanley Clarke, George and Frank
Zappa and a few other surprises. It’s “GEORGE DUKE AND FRIENDS,” on
this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on MOJA
Radio.

This Saturday, September 5th, we'll salute a band that’s just
released their fourth brilliant project in the last two years as we
present a special edition of our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA
Radio titled “MEDESKI, MARTIN & WOOD: THE HARDEST WORKING BAND IN
MOJA!” Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from
Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific) as we
celebrate the release of the third album in the “Radiolarians” series
and the 2008 release “Zaebos: Book of Angels Vol. 2” featuring their
version of the music of John Zorn.  They’re constantly touring,
constantly collaboration with others in outside projects, constantly
recording and constantly striving and evolving.   It’s “MEDESKI,
MARTIN & WOOD: THE HARDEST WORKING BAND IN MOJA” on this weeks WORDS
& MUSIC only on MOJA Radio.