[JPL] Another wonderful Conservative cause

McWilliams, Robert C radiobob at ku.edu
Tue Sep 1 22:19:40 EDT 2009

I'd vote for some REAL jazz myself.

Bob McWilliams
Kansas Public Radio

________________________________

From: jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com on behalf of Dr. Jazz
Sent: Tue 9/1/2009 9:03 PM
To: jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
Subject: [JPL] Another wonderful Conservative cause

This week's sponsor: JazzWeek Summit

After the "birthers" and "deathers", now we have the jazzers!

Why Does Nancy Pelosi Have a Problem With Patriotic Music?

If you've ever been stuck on hold with a congressional office in the
past, at least you've been able to enjoy some good patriotic music, as
opposed to the lilting tones of generic smooth jazz that have been
driving elevator users insane for decades. For years, congressional
offices have played patriotic anthems as the background music during
hold times.

Not any more. After we were startled by the hold music when we called a
House office recently, sources on Capitol Hill informed us this week
that the Democratic House leadership has made a sweeping decision that
congressional offices now have the options of "smooth jazz" elevator
music or no music at all.

Michigan Republican Fred Upton sent a letter to House Chief
Administrative Officer Daniel Beard, who reports to House Speaker Nancy
Pelosi, this week to protest this decision:

Upon contacting CAO Telecommunications it has come to my attention that
as of Tuesday, August 11th all "holding" music was changed at your
request from the traditional patriotic songs to elevator music. CAO
Telecommunications affirmed that congressional offices currently have no
choice in the genre of music played, but merely are given the option
between the elevator music on hold or no music at all, despite the fact
that we've had the patriotic music for years!

According to Upton, no notification was sent to inform congressional
offices of this change, and there was no monetary benefit to the
taxpayers for making it. "Callers routinely express their delight in
listening to a few notes of Americana while briefly waiting for their
call to go through," Upton writes, adding: "We should proudly embrace
our nation's patriotic songs, not callously shun them for elevator music."

Clearly, this is the kind of change America was craving with the
election of such a wide Democratic majority --- out with the old musty
tunes of patriotism, in with the jazz flute.

As for being on hold: I apologize if, during my tenure as a staffer on
Capitol Hill, I was the one who stuck you there. But at least you can
say that the music you heard was the sort that Americans have stood up
and taken their hats off to over the years, as opposed to the kind
designed to put older constituents to sleep. If the death panels won't
do it, the congressional hold music will.

Update: That didn't take long! We've just had an update from the Hill
that the Leadership staff ordered the CAO to make a change this morning
as this story broke, and yank those old patriotic tunes back onto the
hold music. Quote coming shortly.

And here it is: "Now that our patriotic tunes have mysteriously
reappeared at lightning speed after reports this morning of the switch,
if only Pelosi would respond in similar fashion to the majority of
Americans who want the plug pulled on her budget busting health care and
energy plans," says a Hill veteran. At least if you're seeking a
response, you'll have some patriotic music to listen to while they keep
you on hold. Chalk another one up for the blogosphere getting a response!

http://newledger.com/2009/08/why-does-nancy-pelosi-have-a-problem-with-patriotic-music/

--
Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations

Registration is now open for JazzWeek Summit 2010, to be held at the Radisson Riverside Hotel in Rochester, N.Y., June 17-19.

Extra Early-Bird registration at $129 is open for the first 20 registrants. In addition, room rates at the newly-renovated Radisson Riverside start at $91 for single- or double-occupancy. We hope that by making the event  affordable, we can draw a greater number of participants. Hotel reservations are now open as well, with information at http://summit.jazzweek.com/