[JPL] Tribute to Aretha CD?

POWDERSPAM at aol.com POWDERSPAM at aol.com
Wed Sep 2 16:29:24 EDT 2009

<<Hey David,
I don't know much about Crosby, Stills &  Nash but I'm pretty sure Aretha
recorded that tune even if C,S,& N wrote  it.
Eric Jackson
WGBH Boston
(from Acadia National Park in  Maine)>>

Aretha has  certainly recorded an incredible number of songs, and
apparently you're right in  saying that this was one of them. Here's the description
from  Anzic:

"In the  lexicon of soul – A is for Aretha. Bringing together Hammond B3
player and  pianist Bruce Katz (Gregg Allman) and  saxophonist Joel Frahm
(Jane Monheit,  Brad Mehldau), Project A gives the Queen  of Soul's music the
royal treatment. Backed by guitar, horns, 2 bassists and 2  drummers, Katz and
Frahm lead this rare summit of Jazz, Soul and  Blues. Legendary bassist
Jerry Jemmott  (Aretha Franklin, King Curtis) joins the session, propelling the
music forward  with his celebrated soulful playing.  The music is
sophisticated, soulful,  moving and funky – a befitting tribute to its inspiration."
_http://www.anzicstore.com/Project-A_ (http://www.anzicstore.com/Project-A)

i'm sure  it's a great release. i was just a little surprised by the track
listing.
take  care,
-david  avery