[JPL] Eldar

Maurice Hogue onemansjazz at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 3 23:02:33 EDT 2009

It's always great to see young talented guys progressing.
Another young cat - couple of years older than Eldar - to
watch for is pianist David Virelles, from Cuba who was brought to
Toronto at the ripe age of 15 by Jane Bunnett.

He's got his Canadian citizenship now and is headed for New York
for some formal studies with Henry Threadgill and some "informal"
studies wherever he can play.  He's got an amazing developed sense
of harmonics.  Sweet guy too.  Steve Coleman has snapped him up
for some tours next year.  He has recorded on some of Jane Bunnett's
recordings, and has one out on Justin Time from 2007 called Motion
with Mark Turner and a trio thing out of Japan on Marshmallow Export
called Oblivion featuring Francisco Mela.

Definitely worth watching for.

Maurice Hogue
CKUW Winnipeg