[JPL] MOJA Radio special programs this week

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Sep 8 11:32:52 EDT 2009

Russ Davis
MOJA Radio/VOA
105 East 16th Street
# 7 South
New York, NY 10003
russ at mojaradio.com
		jazz-america at voa.gov

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (7-13 September 2009)

This Monday, September 7th, we’ll present another edition of our
special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. And this time
we’ll focus on the master keyboardist JOHN MEDESKI! You’ll hear an
hour of John’s candid comments and an hour of his music including
everything from his work with the incredible masters of the jazzy
jambands and modern improvisational music, Medeski, Martin & Wood, as
well as his many collaborationss with the likes of Matthew Shipp,
Billy Martin, Eyal Maoz and others! Listen for MONDAY WITH THE
MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a
replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific.

Listen for and hour of the jazzy jambands, funk, fusion, acid jazz
and more on JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION WITH MICHELLE
SAMMARTINO five times each week, Tuesdays & Thursdays at 9 AM and
again at 9 PM EST and Sunday’s at 7 PM EST.  This week is birthday
week for Michelle so she’s gonna do just what she wants and that is
to serve up music from some of her favorite groups including The Spam
Allstars, Club D’Elf, Garaj Mahal, The Boston Horns, Medeski, Martin
& Wood plus much more!

LIVE @ MOJALand happens twice each Wednesday at 9AM & 9 PM Eastern/6
AM & 6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and since
it’s Michelle Sammartino’s birthday on Wednesday the 9th of
September, you’ll get a birthday gift FROM Michelle with a special
show we call MICHELLE’S FAVES LIVE!  You’ll hear rare, live
performances by Bonerama, Galactic, Garaj Mahal, The James Taylor
Quartet, The Jazz Mandolin Project, Papa Grows Funk, T.J. Kirk and
The Brand New Heavies.  It’s MICHELLE’S FAVES LIVE on this week’s
edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

Every Thursday at 10 AM east/7 AM West with a replay at 10 PM East/7
PM West, and again Sunday at 8 PM East/5 PM West Join Russ Davis as
he give you an hour of nothing but the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW
MUSIC REVUE.  This week you’ll get a great idea of what’s up in MOJA
as we present music from 10 new releases. Randy Brecker traveled to
Poland to trace his roots and was inspired to create “Nostalgic
Journey.”  You’ll hear members of what’s called jazz’s new power
generation, Positive Catastrophe with “Garbatos Vol. One, pianist
Matthew Shipp’s new trio record “Harmonic Disorder,” Minneapolis
saxophonist Tim Vanderheyen’s new one “Complete Life,” world-jazz
from Pakistani-American guitarist Rez Abbasi and guests on his new
one “Things To Come,” award-winning Canadian vocalist Daniela Nardi
with “The Rose Tatoo,” Norway’s inventive Bugge Wesseltoft and his
newest musical statement simply titled “Playing.”   You’ll hear
bassist Brian McCree who moved from Boston to Hawaii, and moves us
with is new one “Changes In The Wind, New York-based guitarist Clay
Ross who blends Brazilian Carnival with the Appalacian Mountains on
his new one “Matuto,” and the Los Angeles-based Tim Davies Big Band
with their new one “Dialmentia.” That’s ten brilliant new MOJA
releases on this week’s edition of THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE.

Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll
begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our
special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on MOJA
Radio.  And this week, since Russ Davis celebrates his birthday on
Thursday, September 10th, the same day as vibes master Roy Ayers,
we’ll put a special focus on Mr. Ayers and Gary Burton, another man
who, with mallets in hand made fusion history, as we present a
special feature we call “FUSION’S GOOD VIBES.” You’ll hear some of
Roy Ayers’ great work from the ‘70’s featuring collaborations with
Herbie Mann, Herbie Hancock, Miroslav Vitous, Gary Bartz and others.
You’ll hear Gary Burton with the fiery guitar work of Larry Coryell,
the inventive pianist Keith Jarrett and many others. It’s “FUSION’S
GOOD VIBES,” on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE
FUSION on MOJA Radio.

This Saturday, September 12th, we'll present another edition of our
weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio titled “MICHELLE AND RUSS
ATTACK MOCEAN WORKER!” Since this week marks the birthday of MOJA
Radio’s founders, that’s us, Michelle and Russ, we thought we’d
celebrate by surprising an unsuspecting ADAM DORN (AKA Mocean Worker)
by cornering him for some in depth conversation that will cover
everything from his beginnings and influence of the late, great
producer and his father Joel Dorn, his love of all things funky and
jazzy, his unique approach to making fun, up funky jazz, his work as
a DJ as well as a working bassist and composer and much more.
Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon
through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). It’s “MICHELLE AND
RUSS ATTACK MOCEAN WORKER” on this weeks WORDS & MUSIC only on MOJA
Radio.