[JPL] PLAYLIST-Jazz: James Clay / Howard Deitz for Tuesday, 09/08/09 with George Thomas

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Tue Sep 8 23:11:38 EDT 2009

Jazz: James Clay / Howard Deitz for Tuesday, 09/08/09 with George Thomas

We celebrate the birthdays of tenor saxophonist James Clay and lyricist
Howard Deitz (Dancing In The Dark, Alone Together, By Myself).

Playlist

9:00pm
By Myself
Artist Name 	Susie Arioli Band featuring Jordan Officer
Composer 	Howard Deitz & Arthur Schwartz
Soloists 	Susie Arioli-Vocals & Snare ; Jordan Officer-Guitar
CD/Album 	Live At Le Festival International De Jazz De Montreal
Record co./Cat # 	Justin Time 227-2
Release Year 	2007
Note 	Birthday: Howard Deitz 9.8.1897

9:03pm
Alone Together
Artist Name 	Jim Hall & Ron Carter
Composer 	Howard Deitz & Arthur Schwartz
Soloists 	Jim Hall-Guitar ; Ron Carter-Bass
CD/Album 	Alone Together
Record co./Cat # 	Milestone/OJC 467-2
Release Year 	1972
Note 	Birthday: Howard Deitz 9.8.1897

9:09pm
Dancing In The Dark
Artist Name 	Sarah Vaughan
Composer 	Howard Deitz & Arthur Schwartz
Soloists 	Sarah Vaughan-Vocals
CD/Album 	The Jazz Sides
Record co./Cat # 	Verve 314 526 817-2
Release Year 	1957
Note 	Birthday: Howard Deitz 9.8.1897

9:13pm
Pockets
Artist Name 	James Clay
Composer 	Nat Adderley
Soloists 	James Clay-Tenor Sax ; Nat Adderley-Cornet ; Gene Harris-Piano ;
Sam Jones-Bass ; Louis Hayes-Drums
CD/Album 	A Double Dose Of Soul
Record co./Cat # 	Riverside/OJC 1790-2
Release Year 	1960
Note 	Birthday: 9.8.1935

9:23pm
Don't Worry About Me
Artist Name 	Sachal Vasandani
Composer 	R. Bloom / T. Koehler
Soloists 	Sachal Vasandani-Vocals ; Jeb Patton-Piano ; David Wong-Bass ;
Quincy Davis-Drums
CD/Album 	We Move
Record co./Cat # 	Mack Avenue 1046
Release Year 	2009
Note 	New

9:28pm
Once Before
Artist Name 	Joe Martin
Composer 	Joe Martin
Soloists 	Joe Martin-Bass ; Chris Potter-Tenor Sax ; Brad Mehldau-Piano ;
Marcus Gilmore-Drums
CD/Album 	Not By Chance
Record co./Cat # 	Anzic Records 6001
Release Year 	2009
Note 	New

9:35pm
The Very Thought Of You
Artist Name 	James Clay
Composer 	Ray Noble
Soloists 	James Clay-Tenor Sax ; Cedar Walton-Piano ; David Williams-Bass
; Billy Higgins-Drums
CD/Album 	I Let A Song Go Out Of My Heart
Record co./Cat # 	Antilles 422-848 279-2
Release Year 	1989
Note 	Birthday: James Clay 9.8.1935

9:43pm
Brother Thelonious
Artist Name 	The Brother Thelonious Quintet
Composer 	Helen Sung
Soloists 	Helen Sung-Piano ; Alan Hampton-Bass ; James Alsanders-Drums ;
Wayne Escoffery-Tenor Sax ; Ambrose Akinmusire-Trumpet
CD/Album 	Brother Thelonious
Record co./Cat # 	North Coast Brewing Co. 101
Release Year 	2009
Note 	New

9:48pm
Body And Soul
Artist Name 	James Clay
Composer 	Green-Heyman-Sour-Eyton
Soloists 	James Clay-Tenor Sax ; Cedar Walton-Piano
CD/Album 	I Let A Song Go Out Of My Heart
Record co./Cat # 	Antilles 422 848 279-2
Release Year 	1989
Note 	Birthday: James Clay 9.8.1935

9:56pm
New Sun In The Sky
Artist Name 	Fred Astaire & Oscar Peterson
Composer 	Howard Deitz & Arthur Schwartz
Soloists 	Fred Astaire-Vocals ; Oscar Peterson-Piano ; Barney
Kessel-Guitar ; Ray Brown-Bass ; Alvin Stoller-Drums
CD/Album 	Complete Norman Granz Sessions
Record co./Cat # 	The Jazz Factory 22877
Release Year 	1952
Note 	Birthday: Howard Deitz 9.8.1897

10:00pm
Repercussion
Artist Name 	Mike DiRubbo
Composer 	Mike DiRubbo
Soloists 	Mike DiRubbo-Alto Sax ; Steve Nelson-Vibes
CD/Album 	Repercussion
Record co./Cat # 	Pos-tone Records 8051
Release Year 	2009
Note 	New

10:07pm
Question And Answer
Artist Name 	Gary Burton, Pat Metheny, Steve Swallow, Antonio Sanchez
Composer 	Pat Metheny
Soloists 	Pat Metheny-Guitar ; Gary Burton-Vibes ; Steve Swallow-Bass ;
Antonio Sanchez-Drums
CD/Album 	Quartet Live
Record co./Cat # 	Concord Jazz 31303-2
Release Year 	2009
Note 	New

10:21pm
Lonnie's Lament
Artist Name 	Jessica Williams
Composer 	John Coltrane
Soloists 	Jessica Williams-Piano
CD/Album 	The Art Of The Piano
Record co./Cat # 	Origin Records 82542
Release Year 	2009
Note 	New

10:30pm
Make Someone Happy
Artist Name 	Bill Easley
Composer 	Jule Styne
Soloists 	Bill Easley-Tenor Sax
CD/Album 	Hearing Voices
Record co./Cat # 	18th & Vine 1060
Release Year 	2009
Note 	New

10:37pm
Wait Till You See Her
Artist Name 	John Abercrombie Quartet
Composer 	Rodgers & Hart
Soloists 	John Abercrombie-Guitar ; Mark Feldman-Violin ; Thomas
Morgan-Bass ; Joey Baron-Drums
CD/Album 	Wait Till You See Her
Record co./Cat # 	ECM 2102
Release Year 	2009
Note 	New

10:45pm
My Foolish Heart
Artist Name 	James Clay
Composer 	Ned Washington-V. Young
Soloists 	James Clay-Tenor Sax
CD/Album 	I Let A Song Go Out Of My Heart
Record co./Cat # 	Antilles 422 848 279-2
Release Year 	1989
Note 	Birthday: James Clay 9.8.1935

10:54pm
September Song / I Love You
Artist Name 	Dino Mehrstein Quartet
Composer 	Anderson & Weill / Archer & Thompson
Soloists 	Dino Mehrstein-Guitar
CD/Album 	Point De Depart
Record co./Cat # 	www.dinomehrstein.free.fr
Note 	Listener Request