[JPL] Detroit!

Seymour, Bob BSeymour at wusf.org
Wed Sep 9 22:24:03 EDT 2009

Thanks, Dr. Jazz, for posting the article on John Clayton's premiere
that capped an amazing Detroit Jazz Festival.  And many thanks, too, for
the hospitality shown by you and other festival staff during the
weekend!  The Detroit Fest was everything I'd expected, after running
the 'highlights' show every year -- and lots more.  The artist lineup,
the fine-tuned organization of it all, the venues, and the great
audiences make it a remarkable experience, and a terrific gift to the
city and to the jazz community.

It was a treat to be able to hang out with Linda Yohn and to meet Ed
Love, the voices of jazz in the Motor City -- and to see Bobby Jackson,
Russ Davis (enjoyed your blog posts!), Shaunna Machosky, Eulis Cathey,
Dorthann Kirk, Denny Stilwell and Al Pryor from Mack Avenue, and many
others.

The premieres of major works by Gerald Wilson and John Clayton, as
mentioned in Mark Stryker's review, are indicative of the ways this
festival sets the bar high, and delivers in so many ways.  After years
of following from a distance, I'm glad to be able to testify first-hand,
and look forward to the 'Best of 2009' radio special, and of course to
the lineup for 2010!

Bob Seymour
WUSF, Tampa