[JPL] A-Trane Playlist August 7th 2009 - CFRO Vancouver BC

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 03:33:26 EDT 2009

*A-Trane Playlist August 7th, 2009*

[Missed posting this one from mid-summer:]

No. * Song title * * * Artist *:* Recording * * Label * Instrumental *[MAPL]

1 * Take the A-Train * * * Stuff Smith *:* Hot Stuff * * Storyville *
yes *[----]

2 * Impressions * * * John Coltrane *:* Live at the Village Vanguard * *Impulse
* yes * [----]
3 * Vanguard Blues * * * Seamus Blake *:* The Call * * Criss Cross * yes *[MAP-]

4 * La Linea del Sur * * * Renaud Garcia-Fons *:* La Linea del Sur * * Enja
* yes * [MAP-]
5 * Agua Dulce * * * Renaud Garcia-Fons *:* La Linea del Sur * * Enja * yes
* [MAP-]
6 * Canto del Barco * * * Renaud Garcia-Fons *:* La Linea del Sur * * Enja *yes
* [MAP-]

7 * Parisian Thoroughfare * * * Stephane Grappelli/Martial Solal *:* Happy
Reunion * * Owl * yes * [----]
8 * Mystery Pacific * * * Django Reinhardt/Stephane Grappelli *:* Definitive
Vol 2 * * JSP * yes * [----]
9 * In a Sentimental Mood * * * Django Reinhardt/Stephane Grappelli
*:*Definitive Vol 2
* * JSP * yes * [----]
10 * Sheik of Araby * * * Django Reinhardt/Stephane Grappelli *:* Definitive
Vol 2 * * JSP * yes * [----]

Talk

11 * Minor Swing * * * Cam Wilson/Budge Schachte *:* Live in the studio * *
* yes * [MAP-]

Talk

12 * I Can't Give You Anything but Love * * * Cam Wilson/Budge
Schachte *:*Live in the studio
* * * yes * [MAP-]

Talk

13 * Lazing with Ita * * * Cam Wilson/Budge Schachte *:* Live in the studio
* * * yes * [MAP-]

Talk

14 * Django's Waltz * * * Cam Wilson/Budge Schachte *:* Live in the studio *
* * yes * [MAP-]

Talk

15 * Smoke on the Caravan * * * Van Django *:* Tiptoe Trip * * VDC * yes *[MAP-]
16 * Airmail Special * * * Van Django *:* Tiptoe Trip * * VDC * yes * [MAP-]
17 * Nuages * * * Stephane Grappelli/Martial Solal *:* Happy Reunion * * Owl
* yes * [----]

18 * Royal Tease * * * PJ Perry/Claude Ranger *:* Quintet * * Unity *
yes *[MAP-]
19 * Two White Heads * * * Phil Dwyer Trio *:* Let Me Tell You About My Day
* * DJW * yes * [MAP-]

20 * Incensa * * * Fabiana Cozza *:* Quando O Ceu Clarear * * Atracao
* No *[----]
21 * Mestre-Sala * * * Fabiana Cozza *:* Quando O Ceu Clarear * * Atracao *No
* [----]
22 * Doces Recordacoes * * * Fabiana Cozza *:* Quando O Ceu Clarear * *Atracao
* No * [----]
23 * Ceddo End Title * * * Manu Dibango *:* World Psychedelic Classics: The
Funky Fuzzy Sounds of West Africa * * Luaka Bop * yes * [----]
24 * Shiva's Dance * * * Ingrid Jenson *:* Here on Earth * * Enja/Justin
Time * yes * [MAP-]

25 * Daily Trivia * * * James Danderfer *:* Run With It * * Cellar Live *yes
* [MAP-]
26 * Vere * * * Renaud Garcia-Fons *:* La Linea del Sur * * Enja * yes *[MAP-]

Had a total blast with my guests in the studio this week, violinist Cam
Wilson and guitarist Budge Schachte of Van Django who kindly came down to
have a chat and play some fun duets in advance of their show at MusicFest
Vancouver on Monday August 10th. The augmented Van Django show at the Norman
Rothstein Theatre was great fun too; I took my 9-year old son Benjamin and I
had to (mildly) restrain him from dancing in his seat and drumming on the
seat in front of him.

The shows I've taken in at MusicFest this year have all been outstanding,
Seamus Blake, Ute Lemper, Barbara Dennerlein, Renaud Garcia-Fons (x2) and
Van Django were all top-notch. From this week's playlist, still upcoming is
Brazillian vocalist Fabiana Cozza at the Cellar.

Seamus Blake finished his spectacular show at the Cellar last week with his
own Vanguard Blues and I included it this week as a reminder that Seamus has
another upcoming show on the coast as a guest with Phil Dwyer's Trio at this
year's Jazz In the Garden in Qualicum Beach on Sunday August the 16th. Other
participants featured here include Phil Dwyer (of course), PJ Perry, and
Ingrid Jenson - sounds like a blast! Finally a piece in advance of James
Danderfer's shows at the Cellar last weekend and it's a wrap.

_________________

Contact:
Nou Dadoun
The A-Trane c/o CFRO 102.7FM
826 East 6th Street
North Vancouver, BC V7L 1R7
_________________

Posted to:
http://vancouverjazz.com/forums
rec.music.bluenote
The Jazz Programmer's List
The Miles List
__________________

Bonus:  Guy MacPherson (Fraser MacPherson's son) filled in on the A-Trane on
August 21st while I was on a remote island on the Sunshine Coast, here's his
playlist too:

I had fun filling in for Nou on Friday, even if I did hit the odd wrong
button. Only one turntable was functioning so my dream of playing more vinyl
was compromised. I had to alternate with CD. I improvised. Here's the
playlist:

1. *Song for My Father* - *Michel Camilo*
2. *I Fall in Love Too Easily* - *Misha Piatigorsky*
3. *You and I* - *Carmen McRae*
4. *Lonely Woman/Eleanor Rigby* - *Denzal Sinclaire*
5. *Variations on an Autumn Theme* - *Eddie Daniels/Bucky Pizzarelli*

6. *I Won't Believe My Eyes* - *Kenny Colman*
*Talk with Kenny Colman*
7. *Feelings* - *Kenny Colman*
*Talk with Kenny Colman*
8. *Watch What Happens* - *Kenny Colman*
*Talk with Kenny Colman*
9. *Laura* - *Kenny Colman*

10. *Blue Prelude* - *Fraser MacPherson/Frank Falco*
11. *Limehouse Blues* - *Dave McKenna/Zoot Sims*
12. *Just Friends* - *Don Clark/Oliver Gannon*

13. *Swanee* - *Leonid Chizhik*
14. *But Not For Me* - *Leonid Chizhik*

15. *Someone to Watch Over Me* - *Leonid Chizhik*
16. *Lady J* - *Tilden Webb/David Fathead Newman*
17. *Fiesta* - *Jazz Combo/E. Straume*
18. *Dickie's Dream* - *Fraser MacPherson Sextet with Linton Garner*
19. *All the Things You Are* - *Alexei Kuznetsov*
20. *Porgy & Bess Medley* - *Bill Potts*

--
====
Nou Dadoun