[JPL] Still Another Jazz Show, 7 Sept '09

Dick Crockett bopndick at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 13 02:08:11 EDT 2009

Still
Another Jazz Show 7 Sept '09
SONNY
ROLLINS  “The Last Time I Saw Paris”  “ Just In Time”
“Toot, Toot, Tootsie (Goo' Bye)”   THE SOUND OF SONNY
Riverside (Orrin Keepnews Collection)
24 bit
remastering by Joe Tarrentino
“Excellent
sound reproduction on this 1957 recording, featuring Sonny Clark, Art
Farmer, Percy Heath, Paul Chambers and Roy Haynes.”

SONNY
CLARK  “Cool Struttin'
“Sippin At Bell's”   COOL STRUTTIN'
 Blue Note
“Always
good to hear this great young hard bop pianist perform along with Art
Farmer's straight ahead sound, Jackie McLean's hip and mobile swing
with Paul Chambers and “Philly Joe Jones doing their thing.”

MELISSA
WALKER   “In The Middle Of It
All””Don't Give Up”  “The Way He Makes Me Feel”  IN
THE MIDDLE OF IT ALL  Sunnyside
Records
“After
gaining international acclaim, she lost her voice, due to allergies,
we've all had to overcome. But she was diagnosed with vocal paralysis
and ordered to silence. How tragic is that, for a prime singer, not
to sing. She eventually regained her voice and after a resulting
period of wood shedding, has resurfaced, regaining her stature as a
supreme modern jazz singer.  Anyone with multi octave range and
impeccable phrasing has to be a treasure as a Sarah Vaughn with the
jazziness of Carmen McRae.

She's simply magical!

I remember my early Detroit years, hosting a nightly
jazz show from Jack Brokensha'a on WQRS, a young popular local jazz
vocalist  sang with the Jack Brokensha quartet. Her name is Ursula
Walker, who's still performing in the Detroit area.

Melissa Walker and Ursula Walker are similar in vocal
timber, yet different in material. Ursula is more traditional and
Melissa, a slight more progressive, yet both compliment one another
with their composure and  poise.”

AJ
KLUTH QUINTET      “Red”
 TWICE NOW        OA 2 Records
“AJ
Kluth is an interesting saxophonist who runs the complete registers
of his instrument. Guitarist Nick Ascher wrote “Red,” whose
distortion runs are most appealing, followed by Kluth's centering
moods. Interesting dichotomy.”

GERALD
CLAYTON    “Boogablues”
TWO-SHADE   Artist Share
“From
the son of John, Gerald Clayton, who already has aced recent
international piano competitions, will grow in performance,
arranging, orchestration.

He has astounded us all with his infinite knowledge of
this important medium and the progressive values of this important
music.

There's a local connection here.  Bassist  Joe Sanders
and drummer Justin Brown,  matriculated at the Brubeck Institute in
Stockton, with Joe Gilman professor of music at American River
College, and recorded as a trio, two CD's on Dave Brubeck's music and
two recent CD's on the music of Stevie Wonder.”

BILL
EVANS TRIO   “Your Story”
“Re: Person I Knew” “Polka Dots and Moonbeams”   TURN
OUT THE STARS / THE FINAL VILLAGE VANGUARD RECORDINGS/ JUNE 1980
Nonesuch Records
“Remastered
and released by Nonesuch Records, this year, is an obvious classic
set of recordings by the immortal Bill Evans.

We plan to feature this Bill Evans material from his
last recording, prior to his passing, from this 6 CD set, till the
end of the year. Because Bill Evans has inspired so many young
pianists and considered the bridge between traditional bop and the
post modern.”

THE
OSTER/ WELKER ALLIANCE  “Sweet
Pumpkin”   “Sophisticated Lady” SHINING HOUR   Jazzed
Media
“Jeff
Oster has that hip fifties high end vocal range, similar to Buddy
Greco, Jack Jones, Roy Kral and here's a surprise, Joe Doggs, a.k.a.
Joe Pesci with Joey DeFranceso, “Falling In Love Again,” Concord
Records.

PS: I was researching this comment. (Check youtube's
Buddy Greco, “Lady Is A Tramp”) and then clicked on “Buddy Rich
Chews Out The Band,”and that's it. Hilarious.

This is really all about “The Oster/ Welker Jazz
Alliance” and this style of jazz.

It's about jazz lifestyles in those days and “I Keep
Going Back To Joe's.”

COUNT
BASIE ORCHESTRA  “Like Young”
with Janis Siegel”  “”Blue On Mack Avenue” with Jon Hendricks
 SWINGING,  SINGING,  PLAYING     Mack
Avenue Records
“Anytime
you can get the Basie Band together is a rare treat. This was
recorded in New York City at the Legacy studio and feature Detroit
area musicians, Curtis Fuller who perform with Basie in the 70's,
Geri Allen, Hank Jones and Rufus Reid, one of today's great bass
players and graduate of Sacramento High School. Big time.”

JOE
TURNER WITH THE COUNT BASIE ORCHESTRA   “Flip,
Flop & Fly”  “Everyday I Have The Blues”  “Good Morning
Blues”  FLIP, FLOP & FLY

Pablo Records/Original Jazz Classics
“Classic
Kansas City Blues with repor and stuff, that together, Count Basie
and Joe Turner were made of....”
Dick
Crockett
Still