[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Karrin Allyson (Mon), John Patitucci (Wed) and Bobby Broom (Fri)! Plus, TJS on the radio!

Jason Crane|The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Sep 14 06:37:01 EDT 2009

Hello friends,

I spent some time with saxophonist Eric Alexander on Friday before his
show in Schenectady, NY. We recorded an interview that will air later
this year on The Jazz Session.

On Saturday, it was the Albany All-America City Riverfront Jazz
Festival. (Yes, we do love our pretentious names here in the state
capital.) On the bill were pianist Lee Shaw and her trio, bassist Dan
Loomis and his quartet, the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Lizz Wright, and Joe
Lovano's Us Five. I recorded a fascinating conversation with the members
of the Loomis group: Loomis, trumpeter Eli Asher, saxophonist Robin
Verheyen and drummer Jared Schonig. All four of these guys are smart and
well versed in a broad range of music. I think you'll enjoying hearing
what they have to say about group interaction. Our conversation was
recorded in an RV behind the stage, so most of it is accompanied by a
very audible performance by the Dirty Dozen. (And if some of those names
sound familiar, that's because Loomis and Schonig are also in the Wee
Trio on TJS #55, and Asher is in the Respect Sextet, heard on TJS #64.)

I also spent 30 minutes with Roger Lewis, a founding member of the Dirty
Dozen Brass Band who's been with the band since 1976. He's a wonderful
teller of tales, and you'll get to hear some of his recollections about
the history of the DDBB, a recording session with Dizzy Gillespie, his
time with Fats Domino, and the funny story behind his tune "Ain't What
You Think." Listen for that later this fall.

The Jazz Session is also on the radio! Yes, the first stations in the
world to air The Jazz Session are sister stations 102.7 CFRO in
Vancouver, BC and 92.5 CFBX in Kamloops, BC. Thanks to Cory Weeds for
making it happen. I'm offering the show for free to any station that
would like to carry it. If you'd like to air The Jazz Session, contact
me at jason at thejazzsession.com.

This week on the show: Karrin Allyson (Monday), John Patitucci
(Wednesday) and Bobby Broom (Friday).

Next week: Jason Marsalis (Monday), Vijay Iyer (Wednesday) and Ellis
Marsalis (Friday).

And now, on to the update...

*************************************
*** THIS WEEK ON THE JAZZ SESSION ***
*************************************

On Monday:
THE JAZZ SESSION #83: KARRIN ALLYSON.

On Wednesday:
THE JAZZ SESSION #84: JOHN PATITUCCI.

On Friday:
THE JAZZZ SESSION #85: BOBBY BROOM.

HOW TO LISTEN:

1. Visit <http://thejazzsession.com> and use the easy built-in player

2. If you use iTunes, clicking on the following link will open iTunes,
subscribe you to the show, and download the most recent episode. This
really helps the show grow, so please use this method if you can:
<itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast>

*************************************
SITE OF THE WEEK: JAZZBLOG.CA
*************************************

The Jazz Sessions widget is now being featured at
http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/jazzblog/default.aspx

That's the home of Canadian writer and jazz blogger Peter Hum, where
you'll find Peter's insightful commentary and reviews. He's one of my
daily reads, and he should be one of yours, too.

HOW TO BE FEATURED AS THE SITE OF THE WEEK: As you know, All About Jazz
and The Jazz Session are now partners. If you'd like to feature the
latest episode of The Jazz Session on your own Web site or blog, AAJ has
created a widget for The Jazz Session. You can get the widget here:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/live/lc_podcasts.txt

If you put the widget on your site, let me know and I'll mention your
site on the show and in this newsletter.

--
Jason Crane
Host/Producer

“Music is what we need when language fails us,
but we cannot remain silent.”
-- Dr. Cornel West

(Sent via carrier pigeon from
my secret mountain hideout)