[JPL] What's happening on MOJA Radio this week

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Sep 14 12:10:38 EDT 2009

Russ Davis
MOJA Radio/VOA
105 East 16th Street
# 7 South
New York, NY 10003
russ at mojaradio.com
		jazz-america at voa.gov

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (14-20 September 2009)

This Monday, September 14th, we’ll present another edition of our
special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. And this time
we’ll focus on one of the most popular of contemporary jazz bands,
but one that is under-rated and mis-understood, SPYRO GYRA! You’ll
hear an hour of the music of what was one of the pioneering fusion
bands in the mid-‘70’s but whose popularity became their own worst
enemy as critics blasted them for their penchant for energetic
performances and mass-appeal music.  We’ll give you an hour of their
more adventurous music that shows off the cast of great players that
have been members of the band over the 30 years of their existence.
You’ll also hear the comments of the band’s leader since the
beginning, Jay Beckenstein! Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice
every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday
night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific.

Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION WITH MICHELLE
SAMMARTINO five times each week, Tuesdays & Thursdays at 9 AM and
again at 9 PM EST and Sunday’s at 7 PM EST.  This week Michelle will
serve up more funk, fusion, acid jazz, the best of the jazzy jambands
and Michelle’s own unique comments that bring to life this great
music she loves so much!

LIVE @ MOJALand happens every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM
Pacific and Sunday at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this week we’ll
celebrate the greats of Detroit with an hour of MOTOWN MOJA LIVE!
You’ll hear three of Detroit’s greatest living MOJA Masters on stage,
including Kenny Garrett leading his own band at New York’s Iridium
Jazz Club, piano great Geri Allen and her own great band Time Line
recorded live in Ohio and Oregon, as well as saxophonist James Carter
and an all-star cast including John Medeski on organ and Christian
McBride on bass recorded live at The Blue Note in New York.  It’s
MOTOWN MOJA LIVE on this week’s edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

Every Thursday at 10 AM east/7 AM West with a replay at 10 PM East/7
PM West, and again Sunday at 8 PM East/5 PM West Join Russ Davis as
he give you an hour of nothing but the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW
MUSIC REVUE.  This week you’ll hear more cuts from new releases we
debuted last week including Positive Catastrophe with “Garbatos Vol.
One,” pianist Matthew Shipp’s new trio record “Harmonic Disorder,”
New York-based guitarist Clay Ross with his new one “Matuto,” and the
Los Angeles-based Tim Davies Big Band with “Dialmentia.” Plus you’ll
hear the latest from legendary guitarist Larry Coryell and his new
live recording “Earthquake At The Avalon,” The Godfathers of Groove,
AKA Bernard Purdie, Reuben Wilson & Grant Green, Jr. with their new
on “3,” keyboardist Michael Bellar and The As-Is Ensemble with
“Turned On Turned Up,” and some new fusion from The Ozric Tentacles
from a collection called “Prog Around The World,” all on this week’s
edition of THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE.

Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll
begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our
special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on MOJA
Radio.  And this week we’ll give you a special theme as we present
“FUSION’S FINEST MOMENTS LIVE,” featuring Miles Davis, The Billy
Cobham-George Duke Band and Larry Coryell & Eleventh House live in
Montreux, Weather Report live around the world, Frank Zappa live in
New York, Jean-Luc Ponty & George Duke live in Los Angeles, Jeff Beck
with The Jan Hammer Group and much more! It’s “FUSION’S FINEST
MOMENTS LIVE,” on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE
FUSION on MOJA Radio.

This Saturday, September 19th, we'll present another edition of our
weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio this one titled “MOTOR
CITY MOJA: RUSS DAVIS @ THE DETROIT JAZZ FEST!” Interview segments
followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight
Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific) as we take you to MOTOWN…DETROIT to
talk to some of the many great artists who played the 30th edition of
the world’s biggest free jazz festival in one of the world’s most
musical towns.  Russ Davis was in Detroit over the Labor Day weekend
and talked to Larry Coryell, Christian McBride, Brian Auger, Janis
Siegel, Gretchen Parlato, Ron Blake, Sean Jones, Stefon Harris and
Detroit’s own Geri Allen. Listen this Saturday beginning at Noon
East-9 AM West and you’ll hear their thoughts and their tunes.   It’s
“MOTOR CITY MOJA: RUSS DAVIS @ THE DETROIT JAZZ FEST,” on this weeks
WORDS & MUSIC.