[JPL] Eric Alan's Jazz Rendezvous on Radio 2000 Cape Town South Africa

Eric Alan at Jazz Rendezvous Radio 2000 Cape Town S.A. eric at jazzrendezvous.co.za
Fri Sep 18 00:53:15 EDT 2009

THIS WEEKS PLAYLIST

RADIO 2000  - ERIC ALAN'S JAZZ RENDEZVOUS
Presenter / Producer: ERIC ALAN
Time:  18h00 to 21h00
Date: SUNDAY 20 SEPTEMBER 2009

TITLE          ARTIST          ALBUM          COMPOSER          LABEL
PUBLISHER          RECORD No

18h00 - HOUR No. 1

Rise 'n Shine - Jazz Rendezvous Intro/Outro           Gary Deacon
Sunset Boulevard Gary Deacon          Gary Deacon          SAMRO
DEMO GD 001          South Africa 1995

One Summer Night - General Under voice Bed          Gary Deacon
Sunset Boulevard Gary Deacon          Gary Deacon          SAMRO
DEMO GD 001          South Africa 1995

Halala Afrika          Wessel Van Rensburg & McCoy Mrubata
Kulturation          Johannes Kerkorrel (Ralph Rabie)          Grasland
Music           SARRAL           GRA 001           South Africa 2005

Grahamstown Groove           The Rhodes University Jazz Band Conducted By
Mike Skipper The Rhodes University Jazz Band           Mike Skipper
Rhodes University Recording  SAMRO          DEMORUJB 001           South
Africa          1998

Woodpecker          UCT Big Band          Full Spectrum: UCT Jazz
Sipho Bhengu arr Mike Campbell           UCT          Gallo / EMI / SAMRO
CDUCT 002 South Africa          2006

Mangakane          Tutu Puoane          Quiet Now          Ewout Pirreux,
Tutu Puoane Jassics Records          SABAM          JAS 62607          South
Africa Belgium

Memories          Timothy Moloi          Love That Music          Andre de
Villiers          Thatch Music Panther Productions          THATCHCD 001
South Africa          2009

ARTIST/MUSICIAN OF THE WEEK
HOUR No. 1 - 18:30 to 18:50
ARTIST/MUSICIAN INTERVIEW
Interview with international or local jazz musicians with their music being
played between each question and answer. Listeners are invited to call in
with question for the guests.

South African musicians are carving a significant place for themselves in
the world at large. This week I speak to Cape Town born South African jazz
composer and multi instrumentalist Hylton Mowday at his home in Australia
about his success in that country and where he see¹s himself in the future.
I¹ll also try to find out what he most misses about Cape Town and South
Africa.

Resonant Resolution           Hilton Mowday Band           Lady of the Lake
Hilton Mowday Demo            SAMRO          DEMOHM 001          South
Africa          2000

INTERVIEW
Back To Home           Hilton Mowday Band           Lady of the Lake
Hilton Mowday Demo SAMRO          DEMOHM 001          South Africa
2000

INTERVIEW
Take A Look           Hilton Mowday Band           Lady of the Lake
Hilton Mowday          Demo SAMRO          DEMOHM 001          South Africa
2000

Soweto Special           Elite Swingsters           African Jazz - Soweto
Special CD 1           P Rametsi  Demo          MS          DEMO 008
South Africa          1966

10. 10. Special          Zacks Nkosi          Our Kind Of Jazz
Zacks Nkosi          EMI CCP Records Gallo Music Publishers          CDRG
(WL) 1026           South Africa           2007

Sugar Bush           Clive Sharrock Orchestra           Big Band Beat
N/A  Demo          N/S          DEMO 003           South Africa
1979

19h00 - HOUR No. 2

The Man With The Blue Guitar           Standard Bank National Youth Jazz
Band 2002  Joy Of Jazz           Marc Duby          STD Bank          Sheer
Publishing / SAMRO SBSA 605 485-06/02          South Africa          2002

Africa Calie'nte           Derrick Schippers           Where We Live
Derrick Schippers           U 4 J Records          SAMRO          CDU4J 001
South Africa          2008

Taxi To Tahiti          The Glenn Robertson Jazz Band CD 1           On Your
Feet          Tony Drake  Mountain Arts Promotions          SAMRO
MAP Double CD 0001          South Africa  2008

Dance II Jazz          Themba Dlamini          Dance II Jazz          Tom
Vuma          Intuthuko Music Vum-Vum Music          CDVUM 3547
South Africa           2003

Smooth Operator           Kani           Coconut Groove           Sade
Honey Music          Sony / BMG / ASCAP          HON 002           South
Africa          2004

Cigars          Absolute Zero          Ballad For Africa          Mervin
Naidoo / Angelo  Angelos Entropy Records           SAMRO          ZERO 2
South Africa          2002

Dacia           Loading Zone           L Overdue           Jimmy Dludlu /
Jako Ngoka Universal          SAMRO          CDRBL 275           South
Africa          2000

You Bring Me Joy          Allou April          Colourful World
Allou April           Sheer Sound Sheer Publishing           SSCD 124
South Africa          2005

MUSIC BUSINESS & EDUCATION
HOUR No. 2 - 19:30 to 19:50
MUSIC BUSINESS & EDUCATION INTERVIEW
Interview with important players in the arts, culture, music and recording
industries, focusing on various aspects and legalities of the industry. How
arts workers can access various important resources to further and protect
their careers. Music to be played between each question and answer.
Listeners are invited to call in with question for the guests.

I speak to Simon Radicliffe ­ Head of Department, Sound Engineering at City
Varsity, which offers fulltime Certificate and Diploma courses in Film and
Television, Acting, Animation, Multimedia Design, Sound Engineering, Motion
Picture Make-up, Production Design, Professional Photography, and
Journalism. a course. I find out what it is that entices students into this
field of learning and what opportunities are available to the students.

Home           Bokani Mahca Trio           Hymn for The Warriors
Bokani Macha           Bokani Macha          Bokani Macha / SAMRO
BMDEMO 001          South Africa          2007

INTERVIEW
Irene           Tete Mbambisa           Did You Tell Your Mother
Tete Mbambisa           EMI          SAMRO          CD EMI 6004262211024
South Africa          1996
NTERVIEW
Crossroads Crossroads          Mike Perry & Winston Mankunku          Jika
Winston Mankunku / Mike Perry          Nkomo Records          Nkomo
NK 002           South Africa 1988

Temptation Blues           Andre Pelser and the Harvester Blues Band
Preacher Man Blues  N/S           Pelser Media           SAMRO           PM
2008           South Africa           2008

Kammakastig Land          Alert Frost          Catfish          Albert Frost
Bowline SAMRO           CTRCD 003           South Africa          2003

20h00 - HOUR No. 3

Laird Bird          Charlie Parker Memorial Band          Bird Still Lives!
Volume 1 Charlie Parker          Challenge Records           STEMRA
CDSJP 373           South Africa 1991

Small Feat          Tonk          Tonk          Megeshen Naidoo
Tonk SAMRO          TONK 001          South Africa          2001

Langery          Errol Dyers          The Best Of Errol Dyers          Errol
Dyers Sheer Sound          Sheer Publishing           SLCD 043
South Africa           2003

Langery          Hanepoot & The Biggish Band           Salt & Vinegar
Errol Dyers HBB          N/A (SAMRO)          JAZZCOZA CD 01          South
Africa          2005

New Tricks          Tribe          Our Language          Charles Lazar
Ready Rolled          Copyright Control          RRRCD 003           South
Africa          2003

Mr Baloi - Part 1           Marcus Wyatt           Language 12
Marcus Wyatt, Siya Makuzeni Language 12           Language 12 Publishing /
SAMRO           CDLAN12 001          South Africa 2007

Mr Baloi - Part 2           Marcus Wyatt           Language 12
Marcus Wyatt, Siya Makuzeni Language 12           Language 12 Publishing /
SAMRO           CDLAN12 001          South Africa 2007

Wicked Whispers          Andile Yenana          We Used To Dance
Andile Yenana          Sheer Sound          Sheer          SSCD 080
South Africa          2002

Friends For Life          Mpumi Dlamini          Combined Elements
Mpumi Dlamini           Sony BMG Mixolydien5 / Sony ATV Pub / SAMRO
CDSTEP 123           South Africa          2007

Aaron's Express          The Tony Schilder Trio          Be Positive
Tony Schilder Mountain Records          Songwrights Publishers
CDMOU 4477          South Africa          2004

Stolen Moments           Harry Talas          Stolen Moments
Oliver Nelson, Mark Murphy  Harry Talas Records          Alameda Music Co /
BMI           TALCD 002          South Africa 2009

ERIC ALAN¹S JAZZ RENDEZVOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER - SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 20
This week is South African Jazz Week on Jazz Rendezvous, yes, it has been
declared so and once a month I will produce a show of 100% South African
Jazz. The week will not be a set one but will somewhere through the month,
you see I want to create some excitement in anticipation of the 100% SA Jazz
day. South African jazz musicians are not given enough of a platform for
their work their be heard by a wider audience. We have some of the finest
jazz musicians in the world right here at home. We must honour and cherish
them by buying their music and supporting their gigs wherever they occur.
Jazz will remain an underground music form until the music industry starts
realising that there is a huge audience with an appetite for good music in
SA today. Many recordings by our very talented jazz musicians are self
produced and released, though some never make it to be sold, those remain
demo recordings. I will endeavour to find these recordings wherever they may
be and encourage the jazz musicians of our country to let me know about
these rare gems so that I might share them with you in whatever format they
may be.
JAZZ RENDEZVOUS From 18:00 to 21:00 Sundays

Remember the Studio number is +27 86 001 2010, email me eric at radio2000.co.za
<eric at radio2000.co.za>
NEW JAZZ & SMOOTH JAZZ CD RELEASES
It has just arrived in my post box and with great joy and anticipation I
slipped this new album titled ³North Facing² by Durban based pianist,
composer and jazz educator, Neil Gonsalves. Now, I now some of his work and
composing skills from an earlier album ³Tonk² which he recoded with Mageshen
Naidoo some years ago. ³North Facing² highlights a maturity, compositional
skill and sensitivity that has grown hugely since that earlier recording. On
the album he works with some of Sweden¹s finest young jazz talent and they
have really brought the best out in him.

The great sadness is that this fine music will not be heard very widely of
South African radio station because of the lack of jazz programming and a
national jazz radio station. South African tertiary music institutions
around the country are producing some of the finest jazz talent on this
wonderful continent of Africa today, yet these voices are seldom heard on a
scale that they deserve. Go have a look at his website
http://neilgonsalves.co.za/ and you will get an idea what this young proudly
South African jazz musician has to offer African and the World of jazz. This
is a definite must have for any serious jazz lover who enjoys and
appreciates very good jazz and more importantly support a South African jazz
legend in the making by buying a copy of ³North Facing² a soon as one can.

There is nothing more pleasant that opening the post box and finding a new
big band album by a band and a conductor/leader that I¹ve never heard of
before. This Thursday has been a day of fabulous surprises. Glenn Cashman &
The Southland Big Band has indeed been a most enjoyable listening
experience. The eponymously titled album has been a pleasant revelation with
some great new tunes courtesy of Mr Cashman¹s pen and arranging skills. The
talented musicians featured on the album have done themselves proud with
some tight playing and all gel well together. This album is not available in
South Africa but can be purchased from www.cdbaby.com
<http://www.cdbaby.com>

Having a copy of an earlier Alex Clements album, it was with some
anticipation I put the CD ³Between Stops² into the player to listen to and
was very pleasantly surprised. The addition of Zara Tellanders¹ voice to the
line up adds another dimension to listening pleasure and in fact, the whole
band is great. The song writing of the three musicians whose album it is,
Alex, Zara and drummer John Abrahams offer a finally balanced blend of music
that will please the most jaded pallet looking for something new that offers
something other that the ubiquitous G. A. S. material the one comes to
expect. There are new standards being born with the album ³Between Stops²,
twelve tracks of enjoyment and must add the packaging is very attractive
too. Well done on a great CD to all involved.

Brian Bromberg needs little introduction to the contemporary smooth fusion
funk market, ³It Is What it Is² his new album says it all. This acclaimed
bass player, composer and producer has done it all and here he has produced
a masterpiece once again in his genre style. Working with some of the finest
musicians in the genre who are featured as guests throughout the album helps
a lot as well and shows what respect he has in the music melange. Now, I¹m
no jazz purest by any manner or means at all, but lets say I¹m a music
purest, I just love music, and good music is the most important criteria in
my book and not the genre. Jazz is the chosen choice of my musical
enjoyment. ³It Is What it Is² an album that offers the listener an
experience. Bromberg is a total master of his chosen musical instrument and
one learns a valuable lesson of how the bass can be used as a true lead
instrument. Go have a listen and you¹ll be won over