[JPL] Vinyl Side of Midnight; Decades: 1940s

Mike Stratton dreamtrane at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 18:39:06 EDT 2009

Vinyl Side of Midnight 2009

This is the playlist for this week’s Vinyl Side of Midnight, which can be
heard on 89.7 FM WLNZ in the Greater Lansing area, or you can tune in
internationally on the web on www.wlnz.org  - hosted by Mike Stratton,
Sunday nights, 9- midnight, Eastern Standard Time

Feel free to forward this to friends.

If you’ve received this and would like to be removed from the list simply
contact me at dreamtrane at sbcglobal.net

You can use that same address for promotional information.

For more information, visit www.mikestratton.com

9/20/09

DECADES: 1940s

We continue our review of jazz through the century as we countdown to the
‘00s by year’s end.

We wrapped up the ‘30s at the height of the swing era. And the 1940s picks
up where we left off. Due to the war there is a big hole in the center of
the decade. The need for petroleum based products precluded the need for
jazz recordings. When recording resumed, we find many of the big bands
broken up, replaced by jump bands, smaller r&b combos, a music that will
morph into rock and roll within a few years; and a new form of jazz,
invented by a group of brilliant innovators: bebop. Check out this set list
and join us for an amazing evening of music.

Coleman Hawkins - Bouncin’ With Bean; BODY & SOUL; Victor Jazz

Coleman Hawkins - April In Paris; BODY & SOUL; Victor Jazz

Ella Fitzgerald - Perdido; SOMETHING TO LIVE FOR; Verve

Duke Ellington - Sepia Panorama; CENTENNIAL EDITION; RCA Victor

Duke Ellington - Sophisticated Lady; CENTENNIAL EDITION; RCA Victor

Duke Ellington - Day Dream; CENTENNIAL EDITION; RCA Victor

Duke Ellington - A Lull At Dawn; CENTENNIAL EDITION; RCA Victor

Duke Ellington - Take The “A” Train; CENTENNIAL EDITION; RCA Victor

Billie Holiday - Good Morning Heartache; THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION; Hip-O

Billie Holiday - No Good Man; THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION; Hip-O Records

Billie Holiday - The Blues Are Brewin’; THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION; Hip-O

Billie Holiday - Solitude; THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION; Hip-O Records

Billie Holiday - Easy Livin’; THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION; Hip-O Records

Illinois Jacquet - Flying Home; THE BIG HORN; Proper Records

Cab Calloway - Everybody Eats When They Come To My House; ARE YOU HEP TO THE
JIVE? Columbia

Cab Calloway - Are You Hep To The Jive?; Title Track; Columbia Records

Roy Brown - Good Rockin’ Tonight; GETTIN’ FUNKY; Proper Records

Clarence Samuels - Lollypop Mama; CHESS BLUES; Chess

Joe Morris - Lowe Groovin’; ATLANTIC RHYTHM & BLUES; Atlantic

Sarah Vaughan - Black Coffee; THE DIVINE...; Columbia

Billy Eckstine - Everything I Have Is Yours; BEST OF THE M-G-M YEARS; Verve

Lester Young - I’ve Found A New Baby; JAZZMASTERS 30; Verve

Lester Young - Polka Dots And Moonbeams; JAZZMASTERS 30; Verve

Benny Goodman & His Orchestra - Solo Flight; CHARLIE CHRISTIAN; Columbia

Various - Blues In B; CHARLIE CHRISTIAN; Columbia

Various - Waitin’ For Benny; CHARLIE CHRISTIAN; Columbia

Various - Air Mail Special; CHARLIE CHRISTIAN; Columbia

Charlie Parker’s Reboppers - Now’s The Time; ORNITHOLOGY; Proper Records

Charlie Parker’s Reboppers - Thrivin’ On A Riff; ORNITHOLOGY; Proper Records

Charlie Parker’s Reboppers - Ko-Ko; ORNITHOLOGY; Proper Records

Charlie Parker’s Reboppers - Moose The Mooche; ORNITHOLOGY; Proper Records

Charlie Parker’s Reboppers - Yardbird Suite; ORNITHOLOGY; Proper Records

Charlie Parker’’s Reboppers - A Night In Tunisia; ORNITHOLOGY; Proper
Records

Dexter Gordon - Dexter’s Mood; SETTIN’ THE PACE; Savoy Jazz

Dexter Gordon - Dextrose; SETTIN’ THE PACE; Savoy Jazz

Dexter Gordon - Index; SETTIN’ THE PACE; Savoy Jazz

Dexter Gordon - Dextivity; SETTIN’ THE PACE; Savoy Jazz

Thelonious Monk - Round Midnight; THE BLUE NOTE YEARS; Blue Note

Thelonious Monk - Evidence; THE BLUE NOTE YEARS; Blue Note

Thelonious Monk - Misterioso; THE BLUE NOTE YEARS; Blue Note

Thelonious Monk - Epistrophy; THE BLUE NOTE YEARS; Blue Note

Thelonious Monk - I Mean You; THE BLUE NOTE YEARS; Blue Note

Miles Davis - Move; BIRTH OF THE COOL; Capitol Jazz

Miles Davis - Jeru; BIRTH OF THE COOL; Capitol Jazz

Miles Davis - Moon Dreams; BIRTH OF THE COOL; Capitol Jazz

Miles Davis - Venus De Milo; BIRTH OF THE COOL; Capitol Jazz

Miles Davis - Budo; BIRTH OF THE COOL; Capitol Jazz