[JPL] This week on MOJA Radio

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Sep 21 11:48:24 EDT 2009

Here's what up for this week on the world's modern jazz radio channel
online!

Russ Davis
MOJA Radio/VOA
105 East 16th Street
# 7 South
New York, NY 10003
russ at mojaradio.com
		jazz-america at voa.gov

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (21-27 September 2009)

This Monday, September 21st, we’ll present another “Happy Birthday”
edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio.
And this time we’ll focus on drummer, composer, bandleader, educator
and NEA Jazz Master, CHICO HAMILTON! You’ll hear an hour of Chico’s
music on the very day he turns 88 years old!  Plus, you’ll hear the
wise and witty comments of the man from Los Angeles as he tells the
tales that only a man who’s seen it all from the big bands, to bebop,
to fusion and beyond can tell. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS
twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay
Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we wish a
very happy 88th birthday to the great Forestorn “Chico” Hamilton!

Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION WITH MICHELLE
SAMMARTINO six times each week, Tuesdays & Thursdays at 9 AM and
again at 9 PM EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST.  This
week Michelle will serve up more funk, fusion, acid jazz, the best of
the jazzy jambands and Michelle’s own unique comments that bring to
life this great music she loves so much including new stuff from
Medeski, Martin & Wood and Oz Noy, John Scofield’s great gospel
groove from “Piety Street,” one of her latest discoveries, City
Champs, New Orleans groove from Kirk Joseph and much more!

LIVE @ MOJALand happens four times each week here on MOJA Radio as we
invite you to join us inside the world’s only imaginary jazz club for
rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen
Wednesday morning at 9 AM/6 AM Pacific and again Wednesday night at 9
PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific.  You can hear it again twice on Sunday at 11
AM & 11 PM Eastern, as part of the Sunday Specials. This week we’ll
take you to the one of the world’s most famous spots for live music
as we present ALLAN HOLDSWORTH & FRIENDS LIVE AT YOSHI’S!  Over 30
years ago Allan Holdsworth and Alan Pasqua were members of the ground-
breaking fusion band Tony Williams Lifetime.  Well in 2007 they
invited old friends bassist Jimmy Haslip of the Yellowjackets and
drummer Chad Wackerman to join them in a fantastic show to revisit
those great days.  It’s ALLAN HOLDSWORTH & FRIENDS LIVE AT YOSHI’S on
this week’s edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

Every Thursday at 10 AM east/7 AM West with a replay at 10 PM East/7
PM West, and twice again on Sundays at 10 AM & 10 PM Eastern Join
Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of nothing but the freshest MOJA
on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE.  This week you’ll hear more cuts from new
releases we debuted last week including legendary guitarist Larry
Coryell and his new live recording “Earthquake At The Avalon,” which
features drummer Bernard Purdie and Larry’s son Julian on guitar,
Geri Allen & her group Time Line from their new release “Live!”
You’ll hear saxophonist James Carter with John Medeski on organ and
Christian McBride on bass recorded live at The Blue Note in New York
on the new release “Heaven On Earth,” as well as new releases from
keyboardist George Colligan leading a piano trio on the CD “Come
Together,” and a brilliant salute to Michael Brecker titled “The
Comet’s Tail,” by Chuck Owen & The Jazz Surge featuring special
guests Randy Brecker, Mike Mainieri, Joe Lovano and more all on this
week’s edition of THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE.

Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll
begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our
special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on MOJA
Radio.  And since it’s birthday week for Chico Hamilton, one of the
fathers of fusion, we’ll give you a special theme as we present “THE
PIONEERS OF FUSION,” featuring artists who took the electric plunge
in the 1960’s. You’ll hear not only the music of Chico’s
groundbreaking release “The Dealer” from 1966 which presented Larry
Coryell for the first time on record, but of course Miles Davis,
Larry with the Gary Burton Band, Herbie Mann, Jean-Luc Ponty & George
Duke together and much more! It’s “THE PIONEERS OF FUSION,” Fusion
classics from the 1960’s, on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY,
THIS MUST BE FUSION on MOJA Radio.

This Saturday, September 26th, we'll present another edition of our
weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio this one titled “VOICES OF
THE DETROIT JAZZ FEST PART TWO!” as we take you to MOTOWN…DETROIT to
talk to some of the many great artists who played the 30th edition of
the world’s biggest free jazz festival in one of the world’s most
musical town.  Russ Davis was in Detroit over the Labor Day weekend
and this Saturday we’ll go more in depth with Larry Coryell and his
son Julian just before their performance, Christian McBride talking
about his latest projects and his place in jazz today, Englishman
Brian Auger talking fusion history and his perspective from the other
side of the pond, Ron Blake on his many projects from his solo work
and being part of the Saturday Night Live Band, Stefon Harris on his
latest project “Urbanus” with his band Blackout and Detroit’s own
Geri Allen with more thoughts on her hometown and her latest work.
Listen this Saturday beginning at Noon East-9 AM West and you’ll hear
their thoughts and there tunes. Interview segments followed by music
will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9
PM Pacific), It’s “VOICES OF THE DETROIT JAZZ FEST PART TWO,” on this
weeks WORDS & MUSIC only on MOJA Radio.

Twice every Sunday listen for three of our most popual special
features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. And
this time we’ll focus on the great violinist, fusion pioneer and MOJA
AY 9 AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky
stuff on JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION WITH MICHELLE
SAMMARTINO followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly
look at the hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE.
Then we’ll wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time an hour
inside the world’s only imaginary jazz club for rare, live
performances on LIVE @ MOJALAND. We just wanted to make sure that
everyone in every time zone around the world had a chance to hear our
great special programming you can only hear here on MOJA Radio so
listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday from 9 AM to NOON,
with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to Midnight Eastern time. It’s
THE SUNDAY SPECIALS only on MOJA Radio!