[JPL] Today on The Jazz Session: Vijay Iyer

Jason Crane|The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Wed Sep 23 00:14:35 EDT 2009

THE JAZZ SESSION #87: VIJAY IYER

Pianist Vijay Iyer navigates the stream of history on his new trio
recording, Historicity (ACT, 2009). Joined by bassist Stephan Crump and
drummer Marcus Gilmore, Iyer unravels and rebuilds compositions of his
own, and those of a cast as diverse as Stevie Wonder, Andrew Hill,
Leonard Bernstein and M.I.A. In this interview, Iyer tackles everything
from mirror neurons to math jazz, Fibonacci numbers to the legacy of Roy
Haynes. And he answers the question: Is it necessary to understand any
of this stuff to appreciate his music?

http://thejazzsession.com/2009/09/23/the-jazz-session-87-vijay-iyer/

--
Jason Crane
Host/Producer

“Music is what we need when language fails us,
but we cannot remain silent.”
-- Dr. Cornel West

(Sent via carrier pigeon from
my secret mountain hideout)