[JPL] Branford Marsalis thoughts on "Nerd Jazz"

Jackson, Bobby Bobby.Jackson at ideastream.org
Fri Sep 25 12:28:08 EDT 2009

Russ Davis,

I stand with you!

Aloha,

Bobby

-----Original Message-----
From: jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com
[mailto:jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com] On Behalf Of
davispro at nyc.rr.com
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2009 8:42 AM
To: jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
Subject: Re: [JPL] Branford Marsalis thoughts on "Nerd Jazz"

This week's sponsor:  The North Coast Brewing Co Presents "The Brother
Thelonious Quintet":

"Brother Thelonious", the new CD from the Brother Thelonious Quintet
spotlights the performing, composing and arranging talents of six
Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz Performance alumni.  Pianist Helen
Sung, bassist Alan Hampton, drummer James Alsanders, tenor saxophonist
Wayne Escoffery, trumpeter Ambrose Akinmusire and vocalist Gretchen
Parlato perform six classic Monk tunes and four original tunes on this
new CD.  100% of the proceeds from the sale of "Brother Thelonious"
benefit the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz - www.monkinstitute.org

--------

To speak in absolutes like this as in "this artist or piece is
compelling and this other one isn't" is so ridiculous.  If someone is
speaking YOUR language you can get it, and if he or she isn't you don't.
Everything works if SOMEONE likes is and if you don't then that's
OK...just don't tell me it isn't valid and therefore not worthy of
someone else paying attention to it.

Opinions are like noses right?  Everybody has one. One man's garbage is
another man's lunch.

Russ Davis
VOA/MOJA Radio

---- "Dr. Jazz" <drjazz at drjazz.com> wrote:
> [...]

> of playing jazz music and are exceptional musicians in terms of their
> precision in playing and the other learned skills that come with
playing
> this very complex musical form and they can talk about technique in a
> very educated manner. However, they lack an emotionally compelling
> component to their music making them really half a musician--they have

> the nerd half of being a jazz musician.
>
> Therefore, as Brandford described this one musician he said he was a
> complete musician in that he not only had the technique down, but he
> brought an emotionally compelling aspect to his music; something that
> made the listener feel more than the notes and style by reaching into
> the deep panoply emotions and emotional experience behind our
individual
> interaction with music. Branford went on to say that this quality is
> something that can't necessarily be taught. It can be nurtured and
> encouraged, but it comes from living a life with a broad array of
> experience and the ability for that to come through in the music in
> terms of how it is played.
>
> What he said spoke directly to me and relates to thoughts that I have
> had about writing. I would say that there is an analogous writer-type
> that could be called "nerd writing" where the individual has been well

> educated in technique, writes with a fluent understanding of
technique,
> and can expound on the finer points of technique in a very educated
> fashion, but still lacks an emotional component to their writing and
> story telling that would make it consistently interesting and
evocative.
> Their is no single form that I believe has suffered from "nerd
writing"
> than short stories. There are so many wonderful writers creating them,

> yet there is a lack of compelling short stories. Perhaps to the
editors
> selecting these stories there is something compelling in the quality
of
> the writer's technique, but there needs to be more than that for
stories
> to be interesting and compelling reads.
>
> By contrast, and this is not a short story, I would suggest people go
> and read Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. He is an eminently talented
> writer in terms of not just his technique, but in his ability to
render
> an emotionally compelling story.
>
> http://www.redroom.com/blog/james-buchanan/nerd-jazznerd-writing
>
> --
> Dr. Jazz
> Dr. Jazz Operations
> 24270 Eastwood
> Oak Park, MI  48237
> (248) 542-7888
> http://www.drjazz.com
> SKYPE:  drjazz99
>
> -----
>
> "The arrangements show thought, daring, care and concern that they and
this music be given some serious listening."  Ron Carter

-----

doug at moodysmood.com
	www.northcoastbrewing.com/thelonious-cd.htm

List information: