[JPL] Branford Marsalis thoughts on "Nerd Jazz"

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 25 12:51:43 EDT 2009

This thread is actually interesting in more ways than one. It's reflective of one major problem confronting jazz radio...that is one programmer likes something and the other doesn't. There is a low percentage of balance in how much a CD is played in one market vs another. I realize Ed is sharing his personal view on Branford but we can bring this same mentality to the programming chair. That's understandable but consider how relatively few jazz programs there are on the radio and then with the little time allotted for them...you can easily see how much "great" jazz music doesn't get played or played enough to make a difference. This is one area where smooth jazz radio has an interesting advantage in that what one is playing there is a 99% probability that the others are as well because of how the programming is formatted and dictated. Could make for an interesting discussion.

Jae Sinnett