[JPL] Branford Marsalis thoughts on "Nerd Jazz"

Doug%20Crane dcrane at comcast.net
Fri Sep 25 13:59:58 EDT 2009

Here's a link to an essay about Branford that Ben Ratliff wrote for the NYTimes a few years back: "Walking a Beat With an Officer of the Jazz Police" http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/06/arts/music/06mars.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1 .  It also appears in Ratliff's "THE JAZZ EAR: CONVERSATIONS OVER MUSIC", an excellent collection issued last year including conversations with Sonny Rollins, Wayne Shorter, Roy Haynes, etc.  Well worth reading.  Branford expounds at a little more length about things touched upon  in the Buchanan piece.  Here's a brief quote from the essay: ' One of Mr. Marsalis’s tough-love opinions is that jazz has precisely the level of exposure it deserves. “Musicians are always talking about, ‘Why isn’t jazz popular,’ ” he said. “But musicians today”— and he was talking specifically about jazz musicians — “are completely devoid of charisma. People never really liked the music in the first place. So now you have musicians who are proficient at playing instruments, and people sit there, and it’s just boring to them — because they’re trying to see something, or feel it.”'

Doug Crane

KUVO Denver

dcrane at comcast.net