[JPL] Branford Marsalis thoughts on "Nerd Jazz"

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 14:00:44 EDT 2009

This is certainly one of the complaints that has been leveled at the
tremendous increase in jazz education in recent years, that the instrumental
techniques are being taught to a wide variety of students who haven't lived
enough to really be able to tell their own story.  And there is a 'technical
hero' attitude (maybe what Branford is referring to as a jazz nerd) where
instrumentalists are praised for the muscularity and technical wizardry of
their playing rather than the emotional aspect.

I think that this is another aspect of the art/innovation versus craft
debate that resurfaces periodically.

N.

--
====