[JPL] Branford Marsalis thoughts on "Nerd Jazz"

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Fri Sep 25 14:19:25 EDT 2009

Doug%20Crane wrote:
> This week's sponsor:  The North Coast Brewing Co Presents "The Brother Thelonious Quintet":
>
> "Brother Thelonious", the new CD from the Brother Thelonious Quintet spotlights the performing, composing and arranging talents of six Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz Performance alumni.  Pianist Helen Sung, bassist Alan Hampton, drummer James Alsanders, tenor saxophonist Wayne Escoffery, trumpeter Ambrose Akinmusire and vocalist Gretchen Parlato perform six classic Monk tunes and four original tunes on this new CD.  100% of the proceeds from the sale of "Brother Thelonious" benefit the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz - www.monkinstitute.org
>
> --------

I just interviewed Branford Tuesday night. That interview is not online
yet but there is another interview that I did with him that is online.
http://www.wgbh.org/programs/programDetail.cfm?programid=304&featureid=4922

I am a big fan of Branford's. I think he is one of the most significant
reed players on the scene today.

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston