[JPL] Branford Marsalis thoughts on "Nerd Jazz"

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Fri Sep 25 15:28:03 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/25/2009 12:52:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jaejazz at yahoo.com writes:

This  thread is actually interesting in more ways than one....

Truer words were never spoken, and the vitality of the thread moves me to
amplify my earlier remark. I saw Branford at Birdland on the night that his
record company rented the place, to profile his groups. Harry Connick's
small-group instrumental set, etc. That night, Branford seemed to be doing the
 gymnastics approach of arpeggios, little concern for melody or
development.

I saw him doing a master class at Williams College, and was riveted by his
charisma and his ability to communicate. I also learned that he's a nice
fellow,  and an interesting cat, to boot.

The time he appeared at the Tanglewood Jazz Festival, perhaps 7 or 8 years
ago, he was the only performer on the bill who was not called back for an
encore. The applause was very mild.

Fortunately, all these experiences are at least 5 years old, and the

Ed