[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Joris Teepe, David Gibson and Mike Stern!

Jason Crane|The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Sep 28 00:17:59 EDT 2009

Hello friends,

Recently, the fine folks over at NPR’s A Blog Supreme have started
asking young jazz aficionados to recommend five recordings from recent
years that they would give to someone who was just getting into jazz.
I’m much, much too old to have been asked to be a part of the series
(clocking in at an ancient 36), but here are my contributions anyway.

http://thejazzsession.com/2009/09/27/jazz-now-jason-cranes-five-jazz-cds-for-new-listeners/

In other news, this week I posted a special report on the Justice For
Jazz Artists campaign. The American Federation of Jazz Musicians Local
802 is trying to win pension benefits for jazz musicians who play in New
York City clubs. In 2007, Local 802 fought and won tax relief for NYC
jazz clubs, with the expectation of state legislators that the clubs
would use this money to provide pension benefit contributions for jazz
artists. Now that the tax money has been made available, the club owners
have yet to put the money towards benefits.

In this interview, Local 802 Jazz/Education Representative Todd Weeks
lays out the history of the Justice For Jazz Artists campaign and talks
about the importance of pensions and other benefits for the musicians —
young and old — who play jazz. (Note: The PLAY button is at the bottom
of the post.)

http://thejazzsession.com/2009/09/23/the-jazz-session-special-report-justice-for-jazz-artists/

I've got some good stuff coming your way this week and next...

This week on the show: Joris Teepe (Monday), David Gibson (Wednesday)
and Mike Stern (Friday).

Next week: The return of Laurie Pepper (wife of Art Pepper, on Monday),
Dave Rivello (Wednesday), and Julian Lage (Friday).

And now, on to the update...

*************************************
*** THIS WEEK ON THE JAZZ SESSION ***
*************************************

On Monday:
THE JAZZ SESSION #89: JORIS TEEPE. Dutch bassist Joris Teepe has lived
in New York for the past 20 years, making a name for himself with
everyone from Benny Golson to the late Rashied Ali. Recently, Teepe was
commissioned to write music for both an orchestra and a big band in
Europe. Those two experiences were so positive that he decided to start
a big band in New York, and the result is the CD We Take No Prisoners
(Challenge Records/Twinz Records, 2009). In this interview, conducted in
Teepe’s back yard in Englewood, NJ, Teepe talks about how Don Braden
helped him learn to arrange for large ensembles; how he approaches the
bass in the very different bands of Golson and Ali; and why he decided
two decades ago to follow the “New York sound” across the water.

On Wednesday:
THE JAZZ SESSION #90: DAVID GIBSON. Trombonist David Gibson delivers
another album full of melody and grounded in a strong sense of purpose
on his new CD A Little Somethin’ (Posi-Tone, 2009). Gibson is a veteran
of the Dizzy Gillespie All-Star Big Band, and a leader in his own right.
In this interview, Gibson talks about the importance of melody in his
writing; the sound of a working band; and why he chooses to focus on
original compositions.

On Friday:
THE JAZZ SESSION #88: MIKE STERN. Guitarist Mike Stern has played with
everyone. And yes, that includes Miles Davis. After decades in the
business, he could easily be resting on his laurels. Instead, he’s
pushing himself into new territory, as displayed on his CD Big
Neighborhood (Heads Up, 2009), which finds him in the company of
everyone from Esperanza Spaulding to Randy Brecker to Eric Johnson to
Steve Vai. In this interview, Stern talks about why he likes surrounding
himself with fresh ideas; his rockin’ side and his lyrical side; and how
guitarist Hiram Bullock once blew Michael Brecker’s mind.

HOW TO LISTEN:

1. Visit <http://thejazzsession.com> and use the easy built-in player

2. If you use iTunes, clicking on the following link will open iTunes,
subscribe you to the show, and download the most recent episode. This
really helps the show grow, so please use this method if you can:
<itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast>

--
Jason Crane
Host/Producer

“Music is what we need when language fails us,
but we cannot remain silent.”
-- Dr. Cornel West

(Sent via carrier pigeon from
my secret mountain hideout)