[JPL] MOJA Radio special features this week

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Sep 30 14:49:31 EDT 2009

Russ Davis
MOJA Radio/VOA
105 East 16th Street
# 7 South
New York, NY 10003
russ at mojaradio.com
		jazz-america at voa.gov

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (28 September-4 October 2009)

This Monday, September 28th, we’ll present another “Happy Birthday”
edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio.
And this time we’ll focus on the great violinist, fusion pioneer and
MOJA Master, JEAN-LUC PONTY! Just one day before his birthday you’ll
hear an hour of Jean-Luc’s music and the stories behind all the
phases of his brilliant life and career, from his first musical
awakenings growing up in France, his move to America and the
sensation he created, his collaborations with George Duke, Frank
Zappa and others and tons of his solo work as well. Listen for MONDAY
WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific,
with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week
we wish a very happy 67th birthday to the great Jean-Luc Ponty!

Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION WITH MICHELLE
SAMMARTINO six times each week, Tuesdays & Thursdays at 9 AM and
again at 9 PM EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST.  This
week Michelle gives us a preview of the 9th annual Jam Cruise that
leaves from Ft. Lauderdale in January for 6 days in the Caribbean
with stops in Jamaica and  The Cayman Islands.  This week on Jammin’
Jazzz you’ll hear just a few of the artists who’ll play the cruise
this year including Karl Denson, Will Bernard, Robert Walter, Mike
Dillon, DJ Logic, Skerik and much more! For more info on the cruise
go to www.jamcruise.com or just listen to JAMMIN’ WITH MICHELLE six
times this week on MOJA Radio!

LIVE @ MOJALand happens four times each week here on MOJA Radio as we
invite you to join us inside the world’s only imaginary jazz club for
rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen
Wednesday morning at 9 AM/6 AM Pacific and again Wednesday night at 9
PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific.  You can hear it again twice on Sunday at 11
AM & 11 PM Eastern, as part of the Sunday Specials. This week we’ll
take take to the seas as we present KARL DENSON’S TINY UNIVERSE ON
JAM CRUISE 2009!  As lovers of the jazzy jambands gather to board the
boat in January for the 9th annual Jam Cruise, sailing for 6 days out
of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida with stops in Jamaica and The Cayman
Islands, with thousands of rabid music fans and dozens of the biggest
names in MOJA aboard, we’ll take a look back at one of the highlight
performances of last winter’s cruise as the man they call “Diesel,”
the great sax man, singer, and snappy dresser, Karl Denson rocks the
boat. For more info on the cruise go to www.jamcruise.com and for a
good time listen this week for KARL DENSON’S TINY UNIVERSE ON JAM
CRUISE 2009 on this week’s edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

Every Thursday at 10 AM east/7 AM West with a replay at 10 PM East/7
PM West, and twice again on Sundays at 10 AM & 10 PM Eastern Join
Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of nothing but the freshest MOJA
on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE.  This week you’ll hear more cuts from one
of the new releases we debuted last week the brilliant salute to
Michael Brecker titled “The Comet’s Tail,” by Chuck Owen & The Jazz
Surge featuring special guests Randy Brecker, Mike Mainieri, Joe
Lovano. Plus there’s tons of new stuff to debut like Jacob Fred Jazz
Odyssey’s new one “One Day In Brooklyn” on which they play everything
from their own great tunes to everthing from Monk to The Beatles.
You’ll hear the greatest vocal group in jazz history, Manhattan
Transfer with their latest effort “The Chick Corea Songbook,”
featuring their take on Chick classics including one written just for
them with Chick as guest keyboardist.” You’ll hear Latin legend
Poncho Sanchez with his cool new one “Psychedelic Blues,” and an
unreal drummer named Towner Galaher with the help of Fred Wesley,
George Colligan and others on “Courageous Hearts.” If you want to
keep up with all  the new MOJA  coming out each week, then listen to
THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week on MOJA Radio.

Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll
begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our
special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on MOJA
Radio.  And since it’s birthday week for the great French violinist
and one of the fathers of fusion, we’ll give you a special theme as
we present “JEAN-LUC PONY’S GREATEST FUSION HITS,” featuring Jean-
Luc’s collaborations with Frank Zappa, The Mahavishnu Orchestra,
George Duke and of course all of his solo work as well! It’s “JEAN-
LUC PONY’S GREATEST FUSION HITS,” on this week’s edition of IF IT’S
FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on MOJA Radio.

This Saturday, October 3rd, we'll present another edition of our
weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio this one titled “TWO FOR
THE SHOW: STEFON HARRIS AND JFJO,” as we talk to two great band
leaders and hear cuts from their hot, new releases.  We’ll go
backstage at  Joe’s Pub in New York City to talk to Brian Haas of
Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey to talk about the latest work by JFJO, the
free download “Winterwood,” and the first studio release by the new
JFJO lineup, “One Day In Brooklyn.”  We’ll also take you backstage
before one of his performances at the Detroit Jazz Fest to talk to
vibes master Stefon Harris to talk about his work with funky,
electric group Blackout and their second release “Urbanus.” Listen
this Saturday beginning at Noon East-9 AM West and you’ll hear their
thoughts and there tunes. Interview segments followed by music will
begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM
Pacific), It’s “TWO FOR THE SHOW: STEFON HARRIS AND JFJO,” on this
weeks WORDS & MUSIC only on MOJA Radio.

Twice every Sunday listen for three of our most popular special
features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. At 9
AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on
JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION WITH MICHELLE SAMMARTINO
followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the
hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll
wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time an hour inside the
world’s only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances on LIVE
@ MOJALAND. We just wanted to make sure that everyone in every time
zone around the world had a chance to hear our great special
programming you can only hear here on MOJA Radio so listen for THE
SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday from 9 AM to NOON, with a replay
Sunday night from 9 PM to Midnight Eastern time. It’s THE SUNDAY
SPECIALS only on MOJA Radio!