[JPL] Jazz Private/Jazz Show

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Wed Sep 30 19:30:46 EDT 2009

> Jae Sinnett wrote:
>
> Just curious folks....Recently a listener asked what jazz I listen to in
> my home and if it's the same that I play on my show.

Jae,

I have some 20,000 LP titles at home and no turntables in the air studio,
so home jazz turns out to be quite different at sometimes, but it also
helps me in future CD purchases. Right now I'm in my every-ten-years
obsession with Earl Hines and listening to his original 1928 solos vs the
ones Chiaroscuro recorded in the 70's.  I might listen straight thru a
recording at home where as now, because we stream, I can only play two,
non-consecutive cuts on air.

I love poetry and try to use it in my shows regularly, but the nature of
the words in jazz poetry sometimes means that I can't air it, but do
listen at home: Amiri Baraka, Hayden Carruth, Olga Broumas, Erik Mingus,
etc.

I also listen to a wide variety of sounds at home, not just jazz: lots of
Mabel Mercer, Sun Ra, Kitty Wells, Femi Kuti, Toumani Diabate, steel
guitar gospel, Moon Mulligan, Little Brother Montgomery, Albert Ayler,
Holy Modal Rounders,all of blues, James Hunter, Horse Flies, Wille Ruff
and of course, my favorite, James Booker.

Here's to the diversity of music remaining it's greatest strength,

George

--
Jazz In The Evening with George Thomas
Vermont Public Radio