[JPL] bopndicks 10 Picks March 2010

Dick Crockett bopndick at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 1 02:21:14 EDT 2010

Bopndicks
10 picks March 2010

DEE
DEE BRIDGEWATER   ELEANORA FAGAN 1915-1959  TO BILLIE HOLIDAY WITH
LOVE     DDB Records

Dee Dee Bridgewater interprets the music of Billie
Holiday, i.e.  Eleanora Fagan.

Incredible performances of  “Lady Sings The Blues,”
“ You've Changed,” “Don't Explain,” “Fine & Mellow,”
“God Bless The Child” and “Strange Fruit.”

Count on this strip mall psychic prediction, even before
Memorial Day and Tiger's triumphant return, that Dee Dee Bridgewater
earns female jazz artist of the year with this one!

ABDULLAH
IBRAHIM & WDR BIG BAND COLOGNE    BOMBELLA
 WDR  The Cologne Broadcasts
TELEGRAM...

Remember
German big band pop stylist  Burt Kaempfert?  STOP...
 Pianist
Abdullah Ibrahim, a.k.a. Dollar Brand and the WDR big band, Cologne,
especially the “Mandella” rendition, so much Kaempfert, the
proportionate, thereof. STOP... The
Bert Kaemfertastique!

VW
BROTHERS          MUZIEK
    Patios Records

The Van Wageningnen Brothers from Amsterdam, both
Paul,drummer and Marc on bass

have branched the world jazz scene, now from the Bay
area with this wondrous new very ebullient, very new modern Latin CD.

“Euro Prelude” is palatial, pastoral. The rest is electrified
post modern, laced with pontificating electric-twenty first pop,
prose-funk, intense- sophisticated and groovy.

VW Brothers are the next to new Jan Hammer-Joe Zawinul
extravaganza!

CHARLIE
HUNTER      GENTLEMEN, I NEGLECTED TO INFORM YOU, YOU WILL NOT BE
GETTING PAID    2010 Spire
Artists Media

7 string guitar player, Charlie Hunter performs suitably
outrageous, which is great for the rest of us, here, on “Gentlemen,
I Neglected To Inform You,  You Will Not Be Getting Paid.”  Charlie
Hunter bridges the modern jazz, pop fissure gap, as a Salvador Dali
would do to drive home an art work of his own. Ah-Men.

Guitarist Charlie Hunter, two trombone players, a
trumpet and drummer, a precious few too good a musical ligature, so
pass it on.

 JOHN
ELLIS & DOUBLE- WIDE   PUPPET MISCHIEF
   Oblique Sound
“Puppet
Mischief,” great title of this somewhat  whole story of exploited
imaginary dolls into  people form with an exaggerated glance to the
other side?

Music, combined with mischievous idleness, is not a
virtue, but a different kind of rhythm is more a movement, which
herein John Ellis and Double-Wide nay-say the naysayers.

AARON
IMMANUEL WRIGHT       ELEVEN DAUGHTERS
 Origin Records
Bassist
Aaron Immanuel Wright's debut CD indicate a cool rendering where
music is demanding, melodic and confrontational, alternating
competitive dissonance with translucence.

Wright's
bass lines are direct with a heavy distinct convulsive sound, learned
from playing in many different environments, and with a degree in
philosophy and music, performing and composing among the best jazz
musicians in the world.
Accompanied
by mentor, educator and  pianist Darrell Grant,  talented saxophonist
Tim Willcox and drummer Brian Menendez. Without question, the Aaron
Immanuel Wright's quartet proves again that exciting jazz music
arises from the Pacific Northwest.  Well traveled musicians from all
over the jazz scene who settled in Portland, Oregon to create
wonderful ideas, to practice, play and teach their art.

Jazz
artists, as Aaron Immanuel Wright are from a different stripe, where
music is integral to existence.

MELVIN'S
ROCKPILE   OUT TO LUNCH
Accurate Records

Whenever I see the name “Out To Lunch,” I think of
Eric Dolphy, his release on Blue Note, ages ago.  Veteran multi
reedist David Levy, whose proficiency on alto saxophone, bass
clarinet and flute sparks even more a connection with the late
master. The difference is Levy is more electric, funky and Frank
Zappa-esgue.

David Levy is a friendly fun loving Charles Mingus
dancing in the streets alongside Yogi Berra and Yehudi Menuhin on a
Saturday night in Venice.

LIONEL
LOUEKE    MWALKO   Blue Note

Guitarist Lionel Loueke blends his brand of West African
music and jazz. His sound is unigue in jazz. His multi rhythmic
usage, create a “John Lee Hooker” mystique. Benin native
Angelique Kidjo's voice adds ambience on “Ami O” and “Vi Ma
Yon,” Esperanza  Spalding on “Flying” and “Twins,”  and
Richard Bona, of Cameroon, on “Wishes,” whose work with Pat
Metheny adds scrutiny to this rather profound contemporary influence
in today's new post music modernity.

Lionel Loueke and “Mwalko” introduce a new
vitalizing African /jazz influence into the scene as bossa nova
popularized into jazz, a half century ago.

CHARLIE
APICELLA  & IRON CITY    SPARKS     Iron
City Jazz

Guitarist Charlie Apicella & Iron City, a
straight-ahead post modern funk group-that may, as a divine
contradiction,  adding John Blake's violin to Steve Cropper's
“Sookie, Sookie.”  Kindly mix into this mesh, Stephen Riley's
cool tenor 'Lester Young' magic and you have something unique, a mix
of various music counter cultures. And it all works with a nice and
interesting groove.

You lace it up with some profound funk profundity, Grant
Green's “Blues At Maude's Flat,” Dr Lonnie Smith's “Play It
Back,” and Lou Donaldson's “Caracas” and you, having so good a
feeling!

Charlie Apicella & Iron City and their new “Sparks”
CD profess a  new transition from the old Hammond B-3 eight- tracks,
to a new rapidly changing post modern  environmental green movement
of the other wise.

MARC
POMPE      HI-FLY     2009 Marc
Pompe

Jazz singer Marc Pompe is a true jazz style vocalist
with a strong voice, excellent control and phrasing, between the
lines. It's like that for the true prodigious of the lost art. For
it's all about the search of something, in this case it's a real,
Marc Pompe, a man true to his art, demonstrating his own time, phrase
and space as in “Midnight Sun.”

Pianist Jodi Christian, veteran and Chicago's finest
sits in as a prominent feature on this CD.

Believe me, you'll know it, as soon as you hear it, for
there's an off s q\uik track alliance going on here with accompanists
appear with potent bop tunes of a jazz artist,  as,”Hi-Fly,” “The
Midnight Sun,”“Hot House,” and “Good Bait.”

I'm not up for snuff, so I'll sign off.

ONES
TO WATCH:

FRED
FRIED  AND  CORE      CORE  3.0
      Ballet Tree Jazz

Fred Fried sports a unique acoustic 8 string guitar with
profound jazz ideas as one can imagine from this CD of original songs
within the perimeters of this highly original jazz guitar artist.

As original and most certainly as a Les Paul?  Almost
certainly refreshing as another original, as Les Paul, though most
profound as a desolate meaningful minor keynote full of alternating
acoustic notables. For Fred Fried is an original full of surprise
profound lyricism on this new “Core 3.0.”

GAIL
PETTIS     HERE IN THE MOMENT
  OA2 Records

A singing Orthodontist peeked my interest. I can just
imagine getting my teeth straightened with a glorious dentist, Gail
Pettis, an angel, singing in my ear the great jazz standards, as if
watching Ella Fitzgerald on the movie screen- a hippodrome beyond
expression. It's natural nitrous oxide.

You don't need nitrous oxide to really appreciate
vocalist Gail Pettis and her talent and ability to deliver a great
sophisticated jazz lyric of a classic song.

May we recommend  the great arrangement, “Nature Boy”
with pianist Don Clendenin.

Enough said.

JOHNNY
HOLIDAY  & SAM MOST     CLOWNING  AROUND    SRI
JAZZ

Jazz vocalist Johnny Holiday was so much a rage of the
West Coast jazz scene in the fifties and sixties.

That, within itself, is quite an achievement in the
ongoing evolution of his career and  that of West Coast jazz.

With a tone of a crooner as Vic Damone and the phrasing
of a Buddy Greco, Johnny Holiday  has it all and it's explosive as
displayed on this CD with a swinging studio orchestra,  “Satisfy Me
One More Time” and “Until The Real Thing Comes Along.”

Many new artists have come and gone along the way and
Johnny Holiday still resides in  Los Angeles,  doing gigs,
entertaining his fans along the way. It's the fun and joy of song and
mirth with Johnny Holiday and reedist Sam Most, singing and just
“Clowning Around.”

ERIK
TELFORD       KINETIC     EJT
MUSIC

Trumpet player , Eric Telford assembles a straight
ahead, electrifying band that incites memories of Don Ellis, Chicago
and Blood Sweat and Tears.

Early days of FM radio in Detroit, we'd play the Don
Ellis  album on Columbia Records, “Electric Bath,” and it went
over with the underground feel of WABX at the time. A similar kind of
'situation' is evident in “Kinetic” with Eric Telford.

Most definitely, Eric Telford's band is a super supreme
performance and jam band, for there's lot's character among the
assets.

Watch out for Eric Telford's new “Kinetic” CD, it's
scarey-ass and wild!

GIA
NOTTE     SHADES       Gnote
Records

This Gia Notte deems a wistful environment of a smoke
filled jazz room, for  there aren't many of them now, due to new anti
smoking laws, but we don't have to smoke, per chance to dream, when
we were young, those pre Beatles days, when Gia Notte was a regular
Saturday thing in clubs across America.

But thisGia Notte doesn't sing in front of a trio. She
blows her horn in a full blown quintet and sextet atmosphere of
glorious confusion, of counterpoint and harmony with saxophonist Don
Braden,  altoist, Guy Notte and  Freddie Hendrix, trumpet and
flugelhorn.

Gia Notte and “Shades.”  Now, that's a Saturday
night in Jazz World.

Dick Crockett

“The Voice” 88.7fm

4623 T Street, Suite A