FW: [JPL] Highly recommended new book

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Thu Apr 1 07:54:50 EDT 2010

I started buying jazz LPs wile a teenager in Southern California in the late 1950s.
One of my favorites places to do so was Wallach's Music City at the corner of
Sunset and Vine.
They actually had a row of small listening booths where you could take a few LPs
into and listen in privacy. This is before shrink wrapping.
The booths had huge glass windows so you could see out onto the street.
One occasion stands out to this day. I don't remember the album I was listening to,
but as I looked out the window while listening, walking by me on Sunset was
Gerry Mulligan. I knocked on the glass to get his attention, held up the album cover,
indicating that I was a jazz fan. Gerry waved and gave me a big smile and continued
walking past me.
I'm 15 or 16 years old.
What a thrill!