[JPL] WFCR Playlist/Jazz a la Mode/Harry Carney

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Thu Apr 1 13:58:22 EDT 2010

WFCR Playlist/Jazz a la Mode, Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Harry Carney Centennial!
baritone saxophonist of the Duke Ellington Orchestra, 1927-'74
b. Boston, 4/1/10; d. NYC, 10/8/74
http://www.jazzonthetube.com/videos/duke-ellington/sophisticated-lady.html

8:00 PM Ben Webster Music for Loving We're in Love Again Verve 1954 led by Harry Carney

8:06 PM Grant Stewart Plays Ellington & Strayhorn Something to Live For Sharp Nine 2009
8:13 PM Ronnie Cuber Ronnie Gloria's Step Steeplechase 2009
8:18 PM Paul Meyers Featuring Frank Wess Snibor Miles High 2010

Steve Turre with the Amherst Jazz Orchestra, April 2, Holyoke Community College
8:29 PM Steve Turre Right There Echoes of Harlem Antilles 1991
8:33 PM Steve Turre In the Spur of the Moment Do Nothin' Till You Hear >From Me/Five O'Clock Drag Telarc 2000
8:41 PM Steve Turre Keep Searchin' Easy Now High Note 2006

8:52 PM Joe Temperley The Sinatra Songbook Everything Happens to Me Hep Jazz 2008
8:56 PM John Surman Brewster's Rooster Chelsea Bridge ECM 2009
9:02 PM Dave Holland Pathways Blue Jean Dare2 2010 Amherst College 4/18

9:13 PM Duke Ellington The Great Paris Concert Jam With Sam Atlantic 1963
9:17 PM Duke Ellington Piano in the Background Perdido Columbia 1961
9:23 PM Duke Ellington The Duke Slap Happy Columbia 1938
9:26 PM Duke Ellington Never No Lament Ko-Ko RCA 1940
9:30 PM Duke Ellington Never No Lament Cottontail RCA 1940

9:36 PM Duke Ellington All-Star Road Band/Volume II Sophisticated Lady Columbia 1957
9:40 PM Duke Ellington Unknown Session Something to Live For Columbia 1960
9:42 PM Duke Ellington Far East Suite Isfahan RCA 1967
9:46 PM Duke Ellington Black Brown & Beige In a Sentimental Mood RCA 1945
9:49 PM Duke Ellington And His Mother Called Him Bill Charpoy RCA 1967

  9:55 PM Billy Taylor's Big Eight The Fabulous Ellingtonians Carney-Val in Rhythm Keynote 1944
  9:58 PM Duke Ellington The Duke Merry-Go-Round Columbia 1935
10:01 PM Duke Ellington The Duke I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart Columbia 1938
10:04 PM Duke Ellington The Duke Brown Betty Columbia 1951
10:07 PM Duke Ellington Recollections of the Big Band Era Rhapsody in Blue Columbia 1962

10:15 PM Duke Ellington Soul Call La Plus Belle Africaine Verve 1966
10:28 PM Abdullah Ibrahim/WDR Big Band Bombella African River Sunnyside 2009

10:37 PM Ben Webster Music for Loving Take the A Train Verve 1954 led by Harry Carney
10:41 PM Ben Webster Music for Loving Chalmeau Verve 1954 led by Harry Carney
10:45 PM Ben Webster Music for Loving I Got It Bad Verve 1954 led by Harry Carney
10:50 PM Duke Ellington Masterpieces by Ellington Solitude Columbia 1950

Tom Reney
"Jazz à la Mode"
Monday-Friday, 8 - 11 p.m.

WFCR