[JPL] Highly recommended new book

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Thu Apr 1 15:11:53 EDT 2010

Mark Griffith wrote:

> I have to get this book. Growing up outside of Philadelphia, Third
> Street Jazz was like a mecca for me. It got soooo much of my $$$, and I
> wouldn't have it ANY differently. In it's heyday, this store (along with
> WRTI) was the best course of jazz (and music) history that a younger
> person could get.  Those two things influenced so much of who I am as a
> working musician today. If there is anyone on this list that was a part
> of either of those, THANK YOU!!!!
>
> Mark Griffith

Yes. I grew up in Camden, NJ. I listened to WRTI when I was in high
school in the late 60s. I did cross the bridge often and go to Third
Street Jazz. There was a store on Market Street that I s hopped at. It
was a big place but I think everything in the store was $2.99.

I worked in two record stores in Boston and Cambridge. I worked in Cheap
Thrills and New England Music City. Scott Billington, who has been at
Rounder Records for decades, was the manager John Erlich has composed
several TV themes. He was the classical guy and I was the jazz person.

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
Sunday 10 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston