[JPL] Beans, rice n records

Arturo Gomez arturo at kuvo.org
Thu Apr 1 18:09:57 EDT 2010

Just as Starbux cells CDs in their outlets now, back in the day record racks were part of the standard stock of neighborhood Latin grocery stores. I remember coming up in the 1960s in Pasadena, the 3 Cuban specialty neighborhood markets as well as their counterparts in nearby Glendale, El Monte, Covina and across town in Echo Park, Culver City, Huntington Park, Lenox wherever there was a Cuban market there was a rack of LPs being sold, merchandise supplied by 1-stop distributors.  As an adult I learned from my cousins in New Jersey and Miami that the markets there had the same rack of LPs, as did pharmacies.  I also learned that racking records was also done in Black neighborhood markets and other shops as well. I recall the LPs were sold for $1.99.

I used to pay .49¢ for 45rpms in the 1960s, I get the money to purchase them by collecting soda bottles, we'd get .2¢ for the 12oz and a nickel for the quart size bottle.

Arturo Gómez
Music Director
It's our 25th Silver Anniversary!
The Oasis In The City, along The Front Range and the High Country!
jazz89KUVO 89.3FM DENVER, 89.7FM BRECKENRIDGE, KVJZ 88.5FM VAIL
Colorado's First HD FM Radio Station
www.kuvo.org<http://www.kuvo.org>   www.kvjz.org<http://www.kvjz.org>