[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Fred Ho & Erik Telford!

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Apr 5 00:15:44 EDT 2010

You can view a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter here:

http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/100405_tjs_newsletter.pdf

Or read it the old-fashioned way below:

(APRIL 5, 2010) -- A quick programming note: I'd planned to bring you an
interview with drummer Tyshawn Sorey this week, but a technical
difficulty prevented it. I hope to have that interview for you soon.

Listeners have already begun contributing to The Jazz Session. There's a
donate button on the Web site now to securely donate money via PayPal.
The show is free, but if you feel that The Jazz Session has added value
to your life, please give a little back.

I saw a wonderful concert by Matthew Shipp on April 1 in Troy, NY.
Matthew was on TJS #137, which you can listen to online. I wrote a poem
based on Matthew's performance:

http://jasoncrane.org/2010/04/02/poem-gravity/

I mentioned last week that my first published poem is now available in
Blue Collar Review. To order your copy, visit http://partisanpress.org/
and pick up the Winter 2009-2010 issue.

TheThe is a popular new poetry site. Their inaugural book review is a
review of John Gallaher's Map of the Folded World by yours truly:

http://www.thethepoetry.com/book-reviews/

If you'd like to see me read my work, you've got several chances: On
April 16, I'll be doing a short set around 8:45 p.m. as part of the
Albany WordFest (www.albanywordfest.com). The next day, I'll be at
Dante's Books in Geneseo, NY, as part of the 25th anniversary
celebration of FootHills Publishing. On April 26, I'll be the featured
reader at Poets Speak Loud at the Lark Tavern in Albany. The evening
starts around 8 p.m. Come on out!

This week on the show: Fred Ho (TJS #157, Monday) and Erik Telford (TJS
#158, Thursday).

Next week: Stanton Moore (TJS #159, Monday) and Matt Lavelle (TJS #160,
Thursday).

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #157: Fred Ho. Baritone saxophonist and composer Fred Ho made
Celestial Green Monster (Mutable Music, 2010) because he thought he’d be
dead soon. Ho’s amazing fight against multiple instances of cancer, and
his lifelong pursuit of social justice and musical adventure, informs
much of the music on his new album. In this interview, Ho talks about
making music while fighting cancer; his passion for large ensembles; and
how he chooses to make a political statement through instrumental music.
SHOW AVAILABLE NOW. LISTEN

TJS #158: Erik Telford. Trumpeter Erik Telford is building quite a
reputation in Austin, TX, on the strength of albums like 2010's Kinetic.
In this interview, Telford talks about the recording of the new record;
his own musical evolution; and the Austin scene.  SHOW AVAILABLE
STARTING 4/8/10.

*********************************

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

--
Jason Crane
Host/Producer

“Music is what we need when language fails us,
but we cannot remain silent.”
-- Dr. Cornel West

(Sent via carrier pigeon from
my secret mountain hideout)