[JPL] PLAYLIST: The next Jazz America on VOA

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Apr 6 14:23:54 EDT 2010

Following is the log for the next JAZZ AMERICA program from the Voice
of America, now heard by more listeners than ever before, not only on
the entertainment service MusicMix, but also on the worldwide VOA
service via shortwave transmission. The show is two hours long and
reaches a potential audience of 134 million listeners worldwide each
weekend.

Jazz America airs twice each weekend online in the Eastern time zone
on Saturday from 1-3 AM (That's 11 PM-1 AM Pacific time, Friday into
Saturday AM) and Sunday from 9-11 AM Eastern time (That's 6-9 AM
Pacific). Go to the following url…(http://www1.voanews.com/english/
programs/radio/64963177.html)

…to get more info on Jazz America and to listen to the latest program
in MP3 form or on Windows Media Player.

Listen on Shortwave:  1300 GMT/UTC Saturdays and Sundays

Africa - 4.95 6.08 13.57 15.58 17.895 mhz

Middle East and Europe - 12.005 15.53 mhz

Asia and Pacific - 7.43 7.575 9.7 12.15 mhz

Jazz America is also heard on affiliate FM & AM stations worldwide.
International listeners should check their local radio station guide
for more information. For any comments or communication you can reach
me by email at jazz-america at voa.gov.

Russ Davis…Jazz America

105 east 16th street/# 7 south•new york, ny 10003

phone...212 614-0424   email…jazz-america at voa.gov

JAZZ AMERICA...SHOW #1121...10-11 APRIL 2010
BILLIE HOLIDAY...easy living (1937)

COLEMAN HAWKINS...body & soul (1939)
*Nnenna Freelon Interview
NNENNA FREELON…all of me (blueprint of a lady: sketches of billie
holiday)

JAVON JACKSON...summertime (have you heard)

ERROL GARNER...night and day (1944)

DEE DEE BRIDGEWATER...lover man (to billie with love)

* Dave Douglas Interview

DAVE DOUGLAS & BRASS ECSTASY…this love affair (spirit moves)

BILLIE HOLIDAY...all of me (1941)

FREDDIE HUBBARD...easy living (1937

JAZZ AMERICA...SHOW #1122...10-11 APRIL 2010

BILLIE HOLIDAY...i hear music (1941)

RUSSELL GUNN...love for sale (love stories)

* Nnenna Freelon Interview

NNENNA FREELON…I didn’t know what time it was (blueprint of a lady:
sketches of billie holiday)

MODERN JAZZ QUARTET...autumn in new york (django)

MONGO SANTAMARIA...soca me nice (soca me nice)

LESTER YOUNG...i can’t get started (the pres)

ARTIE SHAW...too marvelous for words (1954)

* Billie Holiday Interview

BILLIE HOLIDAY...spreadin’ rhythm around (1935)

JOEY DEFRANCESCO...30th street station (all of me)

HERBIE HANCOCK…watermelon man (headhunters)

Next Show…SHOWS #1123-1124...17-18 APRIL 2010

Special Feature…A JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH (PART THREE)

SALUTE TO 100+ YEARS OF BIG BAND JAZZ

Russ Davis talks to jazz greats Dave Holland, Joe Zawinul, Dave
Samuels of Caribbean Jazz Project and Bob Mintzer of The
Yellowjackets about their modern take on big band in jazz for the
21st Century.  Plus we’ll hear big band old and new including the
latest from the U.S Air Force Airmen of Note with special guests Joey
DeFrancesco & New York Voices.