[JPL] The best drummer

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 17:16:55 EDT 2010

Bobby...one thing that doesn't get talked about a lot in reference to Tony is the fact that he defined a sound that was totally unique to him...three times. Most spend their entire career finding that one sound that is identifiable to them. He join Miles at 17 and that sound from the mid 60's...then what I would describe as the "Emergency" period from about 69-71. It was very different from his playing from the Miles Quintet days and then a few years later...coming back with the bigger three floor tom set up...sounding nothing like he did during the "Emergency" time frame. Astonishing really.

Jae