[JPL] The best drummer

Bobby Jackson ftapache1 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 8 18:22:14 EDT 2010

Thanks Jae!  Let's not forget that his skills as a composer are as
formidable as his skills as a drummer.  Tony for me is the last of the
great drummers.  He has amassed many emulators and remains my favorite
for those reasons.  His last band with Mulgrew, Ira, Wallace and Billy
stand with the best of all time.  I acknowledge that without Papa Joe,
Max Roach, Jo Jones among others, there is no Tony but Tony knew all
of them through his instrument and still added more depth and ideas to
that rich pallette.  I interviewed him once and it wasn't the best
experience for me unfortunately but. It is still a valuable interview
in my estimation.  I still own the interview in my archives of
interviews pre- my CPN days and I will post it on a website that is
currently under construction that I hope will be a playground of
content, sound and information for programmers, musicians, and
laypeople who love this music as well as a platform for today's
artists to have their voices heard.  I'm calling it The Jazz Mind.  Be
on the lookout!

Aloha,

Bobby Jackson
The Jazz Mind