[JPL] The best drummer

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Thu Apr 8 20:02:29 EDT 2010

In 1977 my jazz co-host Charlie & I interviewed everyone at Sandy's Jazz
Revival in Beverly MA, and very occasionally, artists came to the WBRS
studios at Brandeis. Max Roach arrived angry and talked for 3 hours,
mostly about South Africa where news had leaked out that his friend,
Steven Biko, had died, probably killed.
Max Roach's duets with Archie Shepp, Dizzy Gillespie, his extraordinary
political recordings for the Candid label,  and others stir, while
the Clifford Brown-Max Roach Quintet reached perfection and holds up today.

Up there with Max are New Orleans drummers Earl Palmer & Ed Blackwell. Or
any number of 10yr old drummers with various zydeco bands.

George

Jazz In The Evening with George Thomas
Vermont Public Radio
365 Troy Ave