[JPL] The best drummer

Louis Erlanger louisx at myfairpoint.net
Fri Apr 9 10:29:11 EDT 2010

I probably saw you play, because I used to "live" at the West End.  Do you
remember Tiny Grimes? He used to borrow my guitar amp, and in exchange he
gave me some lessons.  I didn't realize how special that was until years
later. I saved the wheels he bought me for my amplifier. I remember Eddie
Durham.  I think I had an Eddie Durham T-shirt. And there was Panama
Francis, Paul Quinichette, Sammy Price, Harold Ashby.  It was a real
education up close and personal. Were you going to Columbia or did you live
in the neighborhood?