[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Stanton Moore & Matt Lavelle

Jason Crane|The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Apr 12 06:33:11 EDT 2010

You can view a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter here:

http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/100412_tjs_newsletter.pdf

Or read it the old-fashioned way below:

(APRIL 12, 2010) --  My first guest this week, Stanton Moore, is
involved with two organizations I'd like you to know about. At the end
of the interview, Moore talks about the important work of Defend The
Coast and Gulf Restoration Network, two groups dedicated to repairing
the man-made damage to the wetlands along the Gulf Coast. Please visit
these organizations online and support them if you can. Thanks.

This is both Jazz Appreciation Month and National Poetry Month. It's
also NaPoWriMo (National Poetry Writing Month), and many poets
(including me) are writing a poem a day during April. You'll find new
work daily at http://jasoncrane.org. Today's poem is for a good friend
of mine.

According to FootHills Publishing, my book may be available as early as
next weekend! Crazy, right? I'm doing a series of readings in upstate
New York in the weeks ahead. If you're anywhere near the area, please
come and see me. You'll find my schedule here:

http://jasoncrane.org/events/

My thanks to the folks who have donated to The Jazz Session via the
secure PayPal link at http://thejazzsession.com. If you feel like the
show has added something to your life, please give a little back. Thank
you very much.

This week on the show: Stanton Moore (TJS #159, Monday) and Matt Lavelle
(TJS #160, Thursday).

Next week: Samuel Blaser (TJS #161, Monday) and Charles Evans (TJS #162,
Thursday).

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #159: Stanton Moore. Drummer and New Orleans native Stanton Moore is
a busy man, whether with his bands Galactic and Garage a Trois or as a
solo artist. He’s just released a trio CD called Groove Alchemy (Telarc,
2010), which is also the name of the companion instructional DVD and
book, all of which explore funk drumming. In this interview, Moore talks
about the legacy of drummers Jabo Starks, Clyde Stubblefield and Zigaboo
Modeliste; why he decided to explore funk drumming in depth with this
new project; and the experience of recording the album at Levon Helm’s
studio in Woodstock, NY. SHOW AVAILABLE NOW. LISTEN

TJS #160: Matt Lavelle. One of the things that makes Matt Lavelle
uncommon is that he doubles on trumpet and bass clarinet, as you’ll hear
on his album The Manifestation Drama (KMB, 2009). In this interview,
Lavelle talks about his own growth as a musician; why he started playing
bass clarinet; and his fascinating friendships with swing-era veteran
Hildred Humphries, jazz icon Ornette Coleman, and long-lost jazzman
Giuseppi Logan. SHOW AVAILABLE STARTING 4/15/10.

*********************************

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

--
Jason Crane
Host/Producer

“Music is what we need when language fails us,
but we cannot remain silent.”
-- Dr. Cornel West

(Sent via carrier pigeon from
my secret mountain hideout)